- This course is eligible for JobTrainer and Free TAFE in 2021
Are you looking to enter the horticulture industry, or perhaps get a taste for the trade before undertaking an apprenticeship?
This entry-level horticulture course is designed to give you the core skills and knowledge for the industry, and introduce you to various horticulture specialisations.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Nursery assistant
- Landscape assistant
- Parks and gardens assistant
What You'll Learn
The course includes a total of 15 units, including 5 core units and 10 electives. This is a hands-on course where you’ll learn to:
• Recognise plants.
• Undertake planting tasks.
• Use correct pruning techniques.
• Collect plant specimens.
• Develop retail skills relevant to a garden centre environment.
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Changes to delivery due to COVID-19
The Gordon is utilising Gordon Online, our digital learning management system to ensure students continue to learn and reach their study goals during isolation. Classes are being delivered live (in real-time) using audio-visual delivery methods. Where on-campus attendance is required to complete practical learning and assessments, student numbers are being managed to ensure social distancing can be observed.
Applicants are expected to have an appropriate level of language, literacy and numeracy skills, which will be evaluated prior to course intake.
Recognition Of Prior Learning
Each qualification is made up of units of study. To gain RPL, you will need to demonstrate that you have the required skills and knowledge to meet the competencies of the unit.
Assessment for this course is based on:
- Hands-on projects
- Written assignments
- Team projects
- Short answer questions and quizzes
About The Gordon Institute of TAFE
The Gordon Institute of TAFE is one of the largest regional TAFEs in Victoria and has been helping people gain real skills for real jobs for over 130 years. We pride ourselves on delivering a great range of TAFE courses from short courses to nationally accredited training across apprenticeships, traineeships, certificates, diplomas, and advanced diplomas, which can lead you to a great career or create pathways to university.
Gordon Institute of TAFE is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO 3044)