Do you love the idea of working with animals? Are you looking to undertake further study to develop your career in the animal care industry? This course provides a pathway into a veterinary nursing career or other animal care roles. You will learn to work in a clinic environment and to carry out non-surgical routines. Your study will include: planning and providing animal nutrition, animal health, hygiene and wellbeing, understanding animal behaviour, basic care requirements and equine health.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Veterinary nurse
- Animal care products advisor
- Veterinary clinic attendant
- Kennel handler
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration Study Load
- Geelong City Campus: PT – 1 day per week | Tuesday or Thursday | 9.00am-4.00pm
- Werribee Campus: PT – 1 day per week | Monday | 9.00am-4.00pm
- Ballarat (Off Campus): PT – day TBC | 9.00am-4.00pm
Changes to delivery due to COVID-19
The Gordon will utilise Gordon Online, our digital learning management system. Classes will be delivered using audio-visual delivery methods to ensure students continue to learn and reach their study goals during isolation.
- Applicants are expected to have language, literacy, numeracy and communication skills to at least Year 11 level
- Any student under the age of 17 must provide a Transition from School form prior to undertaking this course
- It is preferred that applicants have completed a Certificate II in Animal Studies, or have relevant industry experience which includes volunteer experience
- Hands-on projects
- Written assignments
About The Gordon Institute of TAFE
The Gordon Institute of TAFE is one of the largest regional TAFEs in Victoria and has been helping people gain real skills for real jobs for over 130 years. We pride ourselves on delivering a great range of TAFE courses from short courses to nationally accredited training across apprenticeships, traineeships, certificates, diplomas, and advanced diplomas, which can lead you to a great career or create pathways to university.
Gordon Institute of TAFE is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO 3044)