- Government funding is available for eligible candidates in Victoria only.
This qualification reflects the role of barbers who use a range of well-developed sales, consultation and technical skills and knowledge to provide a broad range of barbering services to clients. They use discretion and judgement to provide client services and take responsibility for the outcomes of their own work. This qualification provides a pathway to work as a barber in any industry environment, usually a barbershop or salon.
In Australia, no occupational licensing, certification or specific legislative requirements apply to this qualification.
Potential career outcomes could include:
What You'll Learn
- Learn to provide advice on hair care, beauty products and hairstyles
- Learn about shampooing hair and conditioning scalps
- Learn about colouring, straightening and permanently waving hair with chemical solutions
- Learn to cut hair with scissors, clippers and razors
- Learn to shave and trim beards and moustaches
- Learn about cleaning work areas and sanitising instruments
- Learn about arranging appointments and collecting payments
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration Study Load
- 52 Weeks full-time (2 days per week + self-study)
- 78 Weeks part-time (1 day per week + self-study)
- Training is delivered at our modern Fitzroy salon.
- There are no formal prerequisites required to enter the SHB30516 Certificate III in Barbering.
- Prior to enrolling in this course, students must complete Victorian International Academy’s Language, Literacy and Numeracy assessment and pre-training review interview so we can assess the suitability of this course to meet your needs.
- For a successful enrolment, students must be 18 years old.
- Large operating salon for student experience
- Multi-discipline classrooms
- Specialist colour room
- Luxurious basin training area
- Photographic studio
- Fashion show space
- Professional makeup bar
- Student locker and catering facilities
- Student learning library
26 Units must be completed — 21 core units and 5 elective units.
About Victorian International Academy
Victorian International Academy is a leading training provider delivering nationally recognised courses since 2010. The company boasts the most modern training facilities to ensure the best possible outcomes for domestic students.
Our registered trainers are industry experts in the areas of hairdressing, barbering and community services, providing classroom and apprenticeship training in convenient locations around Victoria. Victorian Government funding is available for those students who satisfy the eligibility criteria through the Skills First program.
Victorian International Academy is able to leverage their relationship, knowledge and experience through their sister companies Victorian Home and Community Care, and VIA Care (a registered NDIS Service Provider) within the community services sector to provide meaningful career outcomes.
Victorian International Academy is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO #22511)