- This course is eligible for JobTrainer in 2021
The re-emergence of the barber shop has led to the need for specialist barbering skills for men; cutting and clipping, and maintaining facial hair. The Gordon offers specialist Barber training to deliver the required skills. You will learn about men’s personal grooming services, shaving and freehand clipper work, along with Pivot Point resources.
You will have real life opportunities to develop skills in session styling in live photoshoots, catwalk parades, on film locations, at events and assorted industry excursions.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Qualified barber
- Salon supervisor
- Session stylist
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration Study Load
12 months full-time – 3 days per week
Changes to delivery due to COVID-19
The Gordon is utilising Gordon Online, our digital learning management system to ensure students continue to learn and reach their study goals during isolation. Classes are being delivered live (in real-time) using audio-visual delivery methods. Where on-campus attendance is required to complete practical learning and assessments, student numbers are being managed to ensure social distancing can be observed.
- Applicants must be aged 16 or over at the time of course commencement
- Any student under the age of 17 must provide a Transition from School form prior to undertaking this course
- Applicants are expected to have literacy and numeracy skills at Year 10 or Australian Core Skills Framework Level 2
- Apprenticeship and traineeship applicants must be currently employed under a training contract and referred by their employer
Students will complete 80 hours of external work placement. Your training is supported by hands-on experience at The Studio, our practical clinic located at the Geelong City Campus. During work placement you learn your skills on-the-job with your employer and support from our trainers and assessors.
Assessment for this course is based on:
- Hands-on work
- Workplace tasks
- Written assignments
- Team projects
About The Gordon Institute of TAFE
The Gordon Institute of TAFE is one of the largest regional TAFEs in Victoria and has been helping people gain real skills for real jobs for over 130 years. We pride ourselves on delivering a great range of TAFE courses from short courses to nationally accredited training across apprenticeships, traineeships, certificates, diplomas, and advanced diplomas, which can lead you to a great career or create pathways to university.
Gordon Institute of TAFE is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO 3044)