- This course is part of the Victorian Government’s Free TAFE initiative. Enquire now to see if you are eligible
Are you considering a career in the community services sector, perhaps in social welfare or community development? Do you have good communication skills and a willingness to help people?
This entry-level community services course is a great starting point to prepare you for work in the community and is now being offered at our Werribee Princes Campus.
You will learn about advocacy, community development, client needs assessment, teamwork, support group activities, and administration that will set you up with the skills you need to work in the Community Services sector.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Community Health Support Worker
- Youth Support Worker
- Case Support Worker
- Residential Support Worker
- Volunteer Co-ordinator
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration Study Load
Full-time: 6 months
Changes to delivery due to COVID-19
The Gordon is utilising Gordon Online, our digital learning management system to ensure students continue to learn and reach their study goals during isolation. Classes are being delivered live (in real-time) using audio-visual delivery methods. Where on-campus attendance is required to complete practical learning and assessments, student numbers are being managed to ensure social distancing can be observed.
- Applicants must be aged 16 or over at the time of course commencement
- Any student under the age of 17 must provide a Transition from School form prior to undertaking this course.
- Applicants are expected to have literacy skills at Year 11 or Australian Core Skills Framework Level 3 and numeracy skills at Year 10 or Australian Core Skills Framework Level 2
- Apprenticeship and traineeship applicants must be currently employed under a training contract and referred by their employer
Recognition Of Prior Learning
Each qualification is made up of units of study. To gain RPL, you will need to demonstrate that you have the required skills and knowledge to meet the competencies of the unit.
Assessment for this course is based on:
- Hands-on projects
- Workplace tasks
- Written assignments
- Industry placement
- Team projects
About The Gordon Institute of TAFE
The Gordon Institute of TAFE is one of the largest regional TAFEs in Victoria and has been helping people gain real skills for real jobs for over 130 years. We pride ourselves on delivering a great range of TAFE courses from short courses to nationally accredited training across apprenticeships, traineeships, certificates, diplomas, and advanced diplomas, which can lead you to a great career or create pathways to university.
Gordon Institute of TAFE is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO 3044)