Are you from a non-English speaking background and want to improve your written and spoken English skills? Would you like to improve your employment opportunities with further study? Then this course is just what you are looking for!
Our English as an Additional Language (EAL) courses are designed for students from culturally and linguistically diverse communities. You will improve your skills in reading, writing, listening and speaking English. The course will also cover employment and living skills, knowledge of Australian society, and strategies to successfully move into work or further study.
What You'll Learn
These English courses will improve your skills in reading, writing, listening and speaking in English. The courses also cover employment and living skills, knowledge of Australian society and strategies to successfully move into work or further study.
We offer English courses at four levels, and you will be placed in the course that corresponds to your current English level. We use the ISLPR (International Second Language Proficiency Rating) descriptors to rate your current English ability.
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration Study Load
- 6 months
- Flexible (by arrangement)
The Gordon will utilise Gordon Online, our digital learning management system. Classes will be delivered using audio-visual delivery methods to ensure students continue to learn and reach their study goals during isolation.
- This course is open to adult learners from CALD communities who are permanent residents of Australia
- Entry requirements are determined by language level. All applicants will be interviewed and assessed by a trained ESL teacher and suitably placed. The teacher will use descriptors provided by the International Second Language Proficiency Rating Scale (ISLPR) as a guide
Assessment for this course is based on:
- Hands-on projects
- Written assignments
- Team projects
- Oral presentations
About The Gordon Institute of TAFE
The Gordon Institute of TAFE is one of the largest regional TAFEs in Victoria and has been helping people gain real skills for real jobs for over 130 years. We pride ourselves on delivering a great range of TAFE courses from short courses to nationally accredited training across apprenticeships, traineeships, certificates, diplomas, and advanced diplomas, which can lead you to a great career or create pathways to university.
Gordon Institute of TAFE is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO 3044)