This nationally recognised qualification has been custom-designed by industry experts for two categories of potential workers; those who are already working as teacher aides and are looking to formalise their qualifications, and for prospective employees seeking work.
Teachers’ Aides work in a range of classroom contexts, including public and independent schools and community education settings. Structured Workplace Learning is undertaken during this course to provide the on-the-job experience that will give you the skills that will help you to secure employment.
Getting further ahead in a career you’ve always wanted to explore can be easy with Open Colleges. If you’re patient, easy to communicate with, mature and sensible with the skills to accept direction and supervision, then a career in the classroom could be right up your alley. Take the next step in your career by studying online.
Who's It For?
- The Certificate is perfect for people who are wanting to start a career in education support, as well as for those who are already working in the area but who need to formalise their experience in order to take the next step in their career
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Education Assistant
- Education Support Officer/Worker
- Home Tutor
- Homeland Teaching Assistant
- Language/Literacy Worker
- School Learning Support Officer
- Support Worker (working with children with disabilities)
- Teacher Aide
- Teaching Assistant
What You'll Learn
- The Certificate III will fully prepare you for a career in the classroom, helping teachers to educate, support and inspire students
- This online education support course will give you the expertise to communicate and work collaboratively with teachers and colleagues, as well as to support the holistic wellbeing, health and safety of all students
- You will master the skills that you need to effectively help children learn and develop numeracy, literacy and oral language skills
- During your studies you will learn how to help children and teens with behavioural issues, and how to fully support and assist those with special learning needs
- You will become adept at implementing planned education programs in classroom settings, as well as helping with the organisation and management of classrooms and community education centres
- The Certificate III lets you choose what you would like to specialise in as a Teacher’s Aide with a choice of elective subjects, some of which include: small group learning, supporting ESL students, and working with families to provide appropriate care for children
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration Study Load
- Maximum 18 months
- 120 hours of work placement
You will need to have completed year 10, or equivalent. Equivalency can be demonstrated by one of the following:
- A qualification at Certificate II level or higher OR
- 2 years of industry experience in a role that requires the use of written documentation and communication.
You will need to be at least 18 years old.
- The Certificate III offers the best of both worlds: the flexibility of online learning, with a practical 120 hours of work placement in a real classroom of your choosing, so you can practice and perfect what you learn.
The course contains a minimum of 120 hours of work placement
Your work placement will need to be conducted in an approved school setting in Australia.
Although we encourage you to begin to think about work placement when you begin your studies, your work placement starts in Module 9. This allows you to develop all the skills and knowledge you will need to make a positive contribution to the classroom. In Module 9 you’ll begin to put your new skills into practice.
You will be responsible for the costs of any travel, accommodation, statutory checks or other requirements related to your work placement.
- Case studies
- Demonstrations and Presentations
- Learner and Supervisor checkpoints
- Logbook, Multiple choice questions
- Portfolio of evidence
- Short-answer questions
- Workplace assessments
- Written assessments
- Contribute to a safe and supportive environment
- Use positive support techniques
- Observe and collect data to assist with development of appropriate strategies for support
- Implement strategies to support children or young people who require additional support
- Monitor and review strategies
- Communicate effectively with students
- Use current, recognised good practice techniques of communication
- Work effectively with diverse students and colleagues
- Work with others to support students with additional needs
- Support individual students with additional needs
- Assist with classroom programs to support students with additional needs
- Contribute to learning opportunities
- Identify oral language, reading and writing skills
- Work within guidelines of literacy program
- Support student literacy
- Apply developmental and learning approaches to basic numeracy skills under supervision of teacher
- Implement a numeracy support program
- Support student numeracy programs
About Open Colleges
Open Colleges puts you at the centre of everything we do. As an institution, we measure our success in the success of our students.
We have more than 125 years of experience in distance education, and this has given us the time to perfect the ways we deliver education and training to people across Australia. In the last decade alone, we’ve helped more than 450,000 students reach their potential.
We understand the needs of adult learners. That’s why we created OpenSpace, our world-class online learning platform that gives you complete flexibility and control to study whenever and wherever you are. OpenSpace provides you with access to learning resources, expert trainers and assessors, a superior support network and the opportunity to connect with other learners just like you.
Our nationally recognised courses could help you launch, change or accelerate your career. Now is the time to make your next move. With Open Colleges, everything could happen.
Open Colleges Pty Ltd is a Registered Training Organization (RTO 90796)