Are you thinking of becoming a hairdresser? If you’re a people-person with good communication skills and have a creative streak, then this could be a great career for you.
This course gives you the entry-level qualification recognised by the hairdressing industry. With a real working salon at our Geelong City Campus, you’ve got the option to study on-campus with us, or as an apprentice in the industry.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Qualified hairdresser
- Salon supervisor
- Session stylist
- Sales representative for hairdressing company
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration Study Load
- 1 year
- 4 days per week
Changes to delivery due to COVID-19
The Gordon is utilising Gordon Online, our digital learning management system to ensure students continue to learn and reach their study goals during isolation. Classes are being delivered live (in real-time) using audio-visual delivery methods. Where on-campus attendance is required to complete practical learning and assessments, student numbers are being managed to ensure social distancing can be observed.
- Applicants must be aged 16 or over
- Applicants are expected to have literacy and numeracy skills at Year 10 or Australian Core Skills Framework Level 2
- Apprenticeship and traineeship applicants must be currently employed under a training contract and referred by their employer
Your training is supported by hands-on experience at The Studio, our practical clinic located at the Geelong City Campus. As a trainee, you learn your skills on-the-job with your employer, with support from our trainers and assessors.
Recognition Of Prior Learning
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL), formally recognises a person’s existing skills and knowledge towards the achievement of a nationally recognised qualification or statement of attainment.
Skills may have been gained through:
- Work experience
- Formal training and education (you may be eligible for a credit transfer)
- Informal training and education
- General life experience
- Voluntary work
Assessment for this course is based on:
- Hands-on work
- Workplace tasks
- Written assignments
- Team projects
- Study full-time on-campus
- Undertake an apprenticeship
About The Gordon Institute of TAFE
The Gordon Institute of TAFE is one of the largest regional TAFEs in Victoria and has been helping people gain real skills for real jobs for over 130 years. We pride ourselves on delivering a great range of TAFE courses from short courses to nationally accredited training across apprenticeships, traineeships, certificates, diplomas, and advanced diplomas, which can lead you to a great career or create pathways to university.
Gordon Institute of TAFE is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO 3044)