Kick start your healthcare career with the skills to assist a nursing team in an acute care environment, with Open Colleges’ HLT33115 Certificate III in Health Services Assistance (Assistant in nursing work in acute care).
If you’ve always wanted to be a Nurse, this course is a great introduction to the healthcare system and nursing. It will provide a good foundation for your career, and may lead to more advanced study.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Assistant in Nursing
- Nursing Assistant
- Nursing Support Worker
- Patient Care Assistant
- Patient Service Assistant
- Patient Support Assistant
- Ward Assistant
- Ward Support
What You'll Learn
- The HTL33115 Certificate III in Health Services Assistance course will give you a strong understanding of the health sector, and how to work within the healthcare system
- You will train to assist a nursing team by performing patient observations and attending to the personal care needs of patients
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration Study Load
- 18 months maximum
- 120 hours of work placement
You will need to be at least 16 years old. If you are under 18 your enrolment form will need to be signed by a parent or guardian.
Entry to the course requires English proficiency to Year 10 level or equivalent:
- Successful completion of a Nationally Recognised Training qualification at Certificate II level or higher; or
- 2 years relevant industry experience in a role that requires the use of written documentation and communication
You will need to provide a certified and current First Aid certificate from a Registered Training Organisation to demonstrate competency for HLTAID003 Provide First Aid at your own cost.
- The acute care course gets you used to working in a health clinic, via its simulated online private hospital, which immerses you in a healthcare environment with tours, lessons and quizzes
- You will get the chance to put your knowledge to practice during a structured work placement at a hospital or clinic of your choosing
- Studying with Open Colleges is fully flexible, as there are no classrooms to attend
- You can access all your learning materials online whenever and wherever you want, and make your way through the course at a pace that suits you
The course contains a minimum of 120 hours of work placement.
Due to the unit requirements students undertaking the assisting in nursing in acute care work stream must be in the workplace with access to an acute care work setting. Students will need to be involved in the delivery of professional health services to clients and will need to have access to specialist equipment and resources, relevant to the delivery of healthcare assistance.
- Case studies
- Knowledge tests
Open Colleges offers this qualification in association with Integrated Care & Management Training Pty Ltd (RTO 90197). The testamur will be issued by Integrated Care & Management Training Pty Ltd.
- Respond appropriately to instructions which contain medical terminology
- Carry out routine tasks
- Use appropriate medical terminology in oral and written communication
- Follow standard and additional precautions for infection prevention and control
- Identify infection hazards and assess risks
- Follow procedures for managing risks associated with specific hazards
- Prepare to assist a person with movement
- Assist with movement
- Complete assistance with movement
- Assist with the delivery of nursing care to clients in an acute care environment
- Support the client to meet personal care needs in an acute care environment
- Work in a team environment
- Work effectively under supervision
- Identify behaviour and plan response
- Apply response
- Report and review incidents
About Open Colleges
Open Colleges puts you at the centre of everything we do. As an institution, we measure our success in the success of our students.
We have more than 125 years of experience in distance education, and this has given us the time to perfect the ways we deliver education and training to people across Australia. In the last decade alone, we’ve helped more than 450,000 students reach their potential.
We understand the needs of adult learners. That’s why we created OpenSpace, our world-class online learning platform that gives you complete flexibility and control to study whenever and wherever you are. OpenSpace provides you with access to learning resources, expert trainers and assessors, a superior support network and the opportunity to connect with other learners just like you.
Our nationally recognised courses could help you launch, change or accelerate your career. Now is the time to make your next move. With Open Colleges, everything could happen.
Open Colleges Pty Ltd is a Registered Training Organization (RTO 90796)