- This course is eligible for Free TAFE.
This nationally recognised, Free TAFE course, will prepare you to embark on a rewarding journey in healthcare.
Our Health Services Foundation Course is your gateway to a fulfilling career., where you’ll dive into hands-on learning, honing essential skills for patient care in hospitals.
We’ll equip you to shine as a Patient Services Assistant, mastering communication, infection control, food distribution, cleaning, client transport, and workplace safety.
What’s more, our industry partners at Barwon Health, St John of God Hospital in Geelong, and Werribee Mercy Hospital have helped us handpick elective units tailored to real-world needs. Each location offers unique electives, so be sure to check out the details below.
Join us, and let’s make a difference in healthcare together!
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Wards person
- Patient services assistant
- Health services assistant
What You'll Learn
- Infection control
- Food distribution
- Dealing with difficult behaviours
- Transporting clients
- Bed making
- Work Health and Safety
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration Study Load
- Normal: Full-time – 6 Months
- Full-time – 1 year
- Part-time – 2 years (School-Based)
- Applicants must be aged 16 years or over
- Any student under the age of 17 must provide a Transition from School form prior to undertaking this course
- Applicants are expected to have literacy skills at Year 11 or Australian Core Skills Framework Level 3 and numeracy skills at Year 10 or Australian Core Skills Framework Level 2
- Police Check required for industry work placement
- Apprenticeship and traineeship applicants must be currently employed under a training contract and referred by their employer
- Geelong – work placement will be undertaken at University Hospital Geelong (Geelong Hospital)
- Werribee (currently in development) – it is intended that you will work with healthcare providers within the region
- You will be required to obtain both a current and approved Working with Children Check and Police Check to meet workplace regulatory requirements
- Hands-on projects
- Workplace tasks
- Written assignments
- Industry placement
About The Gordon Institute of TAFE
The Gordon Institute of TAFE is one of the largest regional TAFEs in Victoria and has been helping people gain real skills for real jobs for over 130 years. We pride ourselves on delivering a great range of TAFE courses from short courses to nationally accredited training across apprenticeships, traineeships, certificates, diplomas, and advanced diplomas, which can lead you to a great career or create pathways to university.
Gordon Institute of TAFE is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO 3044)