- This course is part of the Victorian Government’s Free TAFE initiative. Enquire now to see if you are eligible
If you enjoy being outdoors, have an interest in plants and gardens, and are looking for a hands-on career, then horticulture could be for you.
This is a generalist horticulture course that will equip you with comprehensive skills and knowledge to successfully enter the horticulture industry.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Nursery worker – retail/wholesale
- Parks and gardens assistant
What You'll Learn
The course covers a range of horticulture aspects including:
- Plant identification
- Pest and disease
- Soils and plant nutrition
- Customer service
- Turf establishment
- Plant establishment
- Drainage and irrigation
- Retaining walls and paving
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Changes to delivery due to COVID-19
The Gordon is utilising Gordon Online, our digital learning management system to ensure students continue to learn and reach their study goals during isolation. Classes are being delivered live (in real-time) using audio-visual delivery methods. Where on-campus attendance is required to complete practical learning and assessments, student numbers are being managed to ensure social distancing can be observed.
- Applicants are expected to literacy and numeracy skills to at least Year 10 or Australian Core Skills Framework Level 2
- Applicants must be aged 16 years and over
- Apprenticeship and traineeship applicants must be currently employed under a training contract and referred by their employer
Recognition Of Prior Learning
Each qualification is made up of units of study. To gain RPL, you will need to demonstrate that you have the required skills and knowledge to meet the competencies of the unit.
Assessment for this course is based on:
- Hands-on projects
- Written assignments
- Team projects
- Full-time, based at our East Geelong Campus. Attendance is three days per week. Intakes are ongoing throughout the year.
- Part-time in Werribee, based at Werribee Park. Attendance is two days per week.
- As a trainee when employed in the industry. In this format, you will attend The Gordon for on-campus training one day per week, alongside your on-the-job training. This generally takes up to two years to complete. Intakes are ongoing throughout the year.
About The Gordon Institute of TAFE
The Gordon Institute of TAFE is one of the largest regional TAFEs in Victoria and has been helping people gain real skills for real jobs for over 130 years. We pride ourselves on delivering a great range of TAFE courses from short courses to nationally accredited training across apprenticeships, traineeships, certificates, diplomas, and advanced diplomas, which can lead you to a great career or create pathways to university.
Gordon Institute of TAFE is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO 3044)