- This course is eligible for JobTrainer and Free TAFE in 2021
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Personal care worker
- Disability worker
- Aged care worker
What You'll Learn
- Communicate and work in health or community services.
- Provide individualised support.
- Recognise healthy body systems.
- Work with diverse people.
- Support independence and wellbeing.
- Follow safe work practices.
- Work legally and ethically.
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration Study Load
- 19 weeks – 3 days per week
- 10 months -1 day per week
- 2021 Ongoing Traineeships available in a Workplace, Full-time: 1 yr: Part-time: 2 yrs
Changes to delivery due to COVID-19
The Gordon is utilising Gordon Online, our digital learning management system to ensure students continue to learn and reach their study goals during isolation. Classes are being delivered live (in real-time) using audio-visual delivery methods. Where on-campus attendance is required to complete practical learning and assessments, student numbers are being managed to ensure social distancing can be observed.
- Applicants must be aged 16 or over at the time of course commencement
- Any student under the age of 17 must provide a Transition from School form prior to undertaking this course
- Flu vaccination required for industry work placement
- Applicants are expected to have literacy skills at Year 11 or Australian Core Skills Framework Level 3 and numeracy skills at Year 10 or Australian Core Skills Framework Level 2
- Police Check required for industry work placement
- Apprenticeship and traineeship applicants must be currently employed under a training contract and referred by their employer
120 hours of work placement is required in this course, organised by The Gordon. You will complete placement over 4 weeks, for 3-4 days per week. Hours will be either be from 7.00am – 3.00pm or 3.00pm – 9.00pm. A current police check is required. Uniform is suitable neat attire, including a shirt, black pants and flat non-slip shoes. *Please note that you may be required to travel outside of your usual training location to attend placement. This may include other regional areas or suburbs of Melbourne.
Recognition Of Prior Learning
Each qualification is made up of units of study. To gain RPL, you will need to demonstrate that you have the required skills and knowledge to meet the competencies of the unit.
Assessment for this course is based on:
- Hands-on projects
- Workplace tasks
- Written assignments
- Industry placement
About The Gordon Institute of TAFE
The Gordon Institute of TAFE is one of the largest regional TAFEs in Victoria and has been helping people gain real skills for real jobs for over 130 years. We pride ourselves on delivering a great range of TAFE courses from short courses to nationally accredited training across apprenticeships, traineeships, certificates, diplomas, and advanced diplomas, which can lead you to a great career or create pathways to university.
Gordon Institute of TAFE is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO 3044)