- This course is eligible for JobTrainer in 2021
Would you like to enter the healthcare industry, working as a pathology specimen collector (phlebotomist)? This course equips you with the hands-on skills and knowledge required to successfully gain a position in this role.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Pathology specimen collector (Phlebotomist)
- Laboratory assistant
What You'll Learn
Learn the techniques to take blood samples and other specimens such as swabs and electrocardiograms for patients requiring pathology tests, as requested by a healthcare professional. You will also learn how to work within the healthcare industry and apply communication and customer service skills to a diverse customer base.
The course also covers the skills required to:
- Control the spread of infection.
- Administer first aid.
- Apply WHS principles.
- Prepare samples for testing.
- Apply quality principles to your work.
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration Study Load
- Duration – 6 months
- Study Load – You can expect approximately 10-12 hours of class attendance each week over 2-3 days/evenings. You are also expected to complete at least six hours of self-directed learning and research each week.
- Applicants must be aged 18 or over
- Applicants are expected to have language, literacy, numeracy and communication skills to at least Year 10 level
- Working with Children Check & Police Check required for industry work placement
Recognition Of Prior Learning
Each qualification is made up of units of study. To gain RPL, you will need to demonstrate that you have the required skills and knowledge to meet the competencies of the unit.
About The Gordon Institute of TAFE
The Gordon Institute of TAFE is one of the largest regional TAFEs in Victoria and has been helping people gain real skills for real jobs for over 130 years. We pride ourselves on delivering a great range of TAFE courses from short courses to nationally accredited training across apprenticeships, traineeships, certificates, diplomas, and advanced diplomas, which can lead you to a great career or create pathways to university.
Gordon Institute of TAFE is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO 3044)