- This course is eligible for JobTrainer in 2021
Do you love to cook, with a particular fondness for sweet treats? This specialist course will give you the skills and knowledge to successfully enter the patisserie field or further develop your cookery skills.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Cook or pastry cook
- Pastry chef
What You'll Learn
Training with some of the best pastry chefs in the business, you’ll learn the art of preparing and producing:
- Yeast goods
- Bakery products for patisseries
- Marzipan work
- Petit fours
- Tortes and cakes
- Sugar work
As a culinary student, you’ll train in our specialist training kitchens with state-of-the-art equipment. You’ll also develop real skills and experience working in the Gordon’s professional venues: Cafe on Track and the Davidson Restaurant.
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration Study Load
Full-time: 12 months
Traineeship: 2 years full time
Changes to delivery due to COVID-19
The Gordon will utilise Gordon Online, our digital learning management system. Classes will be delivered using audio-visual delivery methods to ensure students continue to learn and reach their study goals during isolation.
- Applicants must be aged 16 or over
- Applicants are expected to have language, literacy, numeracy and communication skills to at least Year 10 level.
- Special consideration may be given to students who are under 17, and may be required to complete additional paperwork and/or assessment.
- Bridging course applicants are expected to have completed a Certificate III in Commercial Cookery.
- Apprenticeship and traineeship applicants must be currently employed under a training contract and referred by their employer.
Assessment for this course is based on:
- Hands-on projects
- Workplace tasks
- Written assignments
- Industry placement
- Study full-time on-campus
- Add to your current cook’s qualification
- Undertake a traineeship
About The Gordon Institute of TAFE
The Gordon Institute of TAFE is one of the largest regional TAFEs in Victoria and has been helping people gain real skills for real jobs for over 130 years. We pride ourselves on delivering a great range of TAFE courses from short courses to nationally accredited training across apprenticeships, traineeships, certificates, diplomas, and advanced diplomas, which can lead you to a great career or create pathways to university.
Gordon Institute of TAFE is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO 3044)