- This course is eligible for Free TAFE.
This nationally recognised, Free TAFE course is designed for those interested in allied health professions, focusing on roles under the supervision of health professionals like physiotherapists, speech pathologists, occupational therapists, and social workers.
You will receive comprehensive theoretical and hands-on training to perform delegated tasks, including delivering therapy programs, managing health equipment, and assisting clients with daily activities. You’ll find opportunities in diverse settings such as hospitals, rehabilitation facilities, community health centres, schools, aged care services, private practices, and the disability sector.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Allied Health Assistant
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
- East Geelong
Duration Study Load
Full-time: 12 months
The course is offered in two study modes.
The full-time course covers the Physiotherapy specialisation, with classes delivered at the Geelong City Campus and East Geelong Campus. Work placement is completed as part of your study, with placement options including:
- 1 day per week in semester 2
- 3 x 1-week blocks during term breaks
- 1 x 3-week block at the end of the year/start of 2021
The traineeship format includes the Physiotherapy specialisation. If you are not currently employed an Australian Apprenticeship Support Network Provider may be able to assist you in finding an employer in the allied health industry, and can also start your application and enrolment process
- Applicants must be aged 17 years or over at the time of course commencement
- Applicants are expected to have literacy skills at Year 11 or Australian Core Skills Framework Level 3 and numeracy skills at Year 10 or Australian Core Skills Framework Level 2
- A current working with Children Check for applicants 18 and over & Police Check required for industry work placement
- Students must be capable of meeting the physical requirements of the job role
Work placement is required in this course, organised by the Gordon. Placement options include 1 day per week in Semester 2, three 1 week blocks during term breaks or one 3 week block at the end of the year or the start of 2021. Placement hours will vary. You will be required to obtain both a current police check and approved Working with Children’s Check.
You may be required to obtain a flu vaccination prior to commencing placement. Uniform is suitable neat attire (black pants and flat non-slip shoes) and will be purchased by the student. *Please note that you may be required to travel outside of your usual training location to attend placement. This may include other regional areas or suburbs of Melbourne.
Recognition Of Prior Learning
Each qualification is made up of units of study. To gain RPL, you will need to demonstrate that you have the required skills and knowledge to meet the competencies of the unit.
Assessment for this course is based on:
- Hands-on projects
- Workplace tasks
- Written assignments
About The Gordon Institute of TAFE
The Gordon Institute of TAFE is one of the largest regional TAFEs in Victoria and has been helping people gain real skills for real jobs for over 130 years. We pride ourselves on delivering a great range of TAFE courses from short courses to nationally accredited training across apprenticeships, traineeships, certificates, diplomas, and advanced diplomas, which can lead you to a great career or create pathways to university.
Gordon Institute of TAFE is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO 3044)