Are you looking for more than a standard cook’s qualification, or perhaps dream of managing your own professional kitchen?
This course will equip you with all the skills expected of a cook, along with the knowledge to manage a dynamic and innovative kitchen environment.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Head chef
- Catering manager
- Chef de Partie
- Sous chef
What You'll Learn
Learn all facets of working in a professional kitchen including selection, preparation and cooking of different foods and techniques. You’ll also cover workplace hygiene procedures, and receiving and storing supplies.
You’ll then develop in-depth knowledge in:
- Quality control
- Stock control
- Catering revenue and costs
- Bulk cooking food safety
- Human resources
As a cookery student, you’ll be taught by some of the best in the business, in our specialist training kitchens with state-of-the-art equipment.
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration Study Load
- Full-time – 12 months (3 days per week)
- Part-time – Varies (One day a week – Monday)
- Apprenticeship – Full time 4 years
Changes to delivery due to COVID-19
The Gordon is utilising Gordon Online, our digital learning management system to ensure students continue to learn and reach their study goals during isolation. Classes are being delivered live (in real-time) using audio-visual delivery methods. Where on-campus attendance is required to complete practical learning and assessments, student numbers are being managed to ensure social distancing can be observed.
- Applicants must be aged 18 or over
- Applicants are expected to have language, literacy, numeracy and communication skills to at least Year 10 level.
- Apprenticeship and traineeship applicants must be currently employed under a training contract and referred by their employer.
Recognition Of Prior Learning
Each qualification is made up of units of study. To gain RPL, you will need to demonstrate that you have the required skills and knowledge to meet the competencies of the unit.
Assessment for this course is based on:
- Hands-on projects
- Workplace tasks
- Written assignments
- Add to your current skills. If you are a qualified cook or possess significant experience, you can complete this course in the workplace and refine your skills with additional attendance at specialist workshops, held at the Geelong City Campus.
- Undertake an apprenticeship. Work in the industry and learn all your cookery skills on-the-job with your employer along with support from our trainers and assessors.
About The Gordon Institute of TAFE
The Gordon Institute of TAFE is one of the largest regional TAFEs in Victoria and has been helping people gain real skills for real jobs for over 130 years. We pride ourselves on delivering a great range of TAFE courses from short courses to nationally accredited training across apprenticeships, traineeships, certificates, diplomas, and advanced diplomas, which can lead you to a great career or create pathways to university.
Gordon Institute of TAFE is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO 3044)