- We are a private RTO and therefore government funding is not available. Please check eligibility requirements before enquiring
Our nationally accredited CHC43315 Certificate IV in Mental Health is designed to equip you with a broad understanding of mental health, which will allow you to make a huge difference in people’s well-being. Unlock diverse career opportunities and begin a meaningful career in mental health today.
Counselling is a growth job sector. In fact, over the next three years, up to 20,000 job openings are anticipated. Job outlook analysts expect that this demand for qualified practitioners will continue to also grow in the future.
Who's It For?
This course is ideal if you have no experience in this area and are wanting to start a career in mental health.
The course is also perfect if you have some experience in community services and are looking to get a qualification that will formalise your experience, and help you take the next step in your career.
If you are an existing worker or have experience in the related industry, please inform our enrolment consultants during your enrolment conversation. You may be eligible to enrol as an existing worker and complete your studies faster. Please note – limitations do apply.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Community Rehabilitation And Support Worker
- Community Support Worker
- Mental Health Intake Officer
- Mental Health Outreach Worker
- Mental Health Rehabilitation Support Worker
What You'll Learn
During the course you will learn how to:
- Communicate effectively with a diverse range of people.
- Deliver client-centred and trauma-informed care.
- Provide services to people with co-existing mental health, alcohol and drug issues.
- Establish self-directed recovery relationships.
- Provide recovery-orientated mental health services.
- Assess and promote social, emotional and physical wellbeing.
- Promote and facilitate self-advocacy.
- Promote Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultural safety.
- Work collaboratively with the care network and other services.
- Provide care within legal and ethical guidelines.
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration Study Load
- Course duration: The duration for the course is maximum 18 months. As a self-paced online course, the time it will take you to complete is flexible and dependent on ability and time available
- Recommended hours per week: 15.5h
- Delivery method: Online with Work Placement
This course does not require specific formal education qualifications. However, you must be a minimum of 18 years old to enrol. At Open Colleges, we’re passionate about helping you choose courses that are a perfect fit for your individual goals and aspirations. Please note that this course is not open to student visa holders. For personalised assistance and more information, please enquire now.
This course contains a minimum of 120 hours of work placement.
What are the benefits?
- By undertaking a work placement you’ll get a chance to put the knowledge you’ve learned on your course into practice
- You’ll also develop practical, on-the-job skills and could make contacts that could help you find a job once you graduate
- Work placement is often the most rewarding part of a student’s course. Working face-to-face with clients and colleagues in your chosen field makes a huge difference to your career confidence
If you’d like to learn more about the work placement component of this course, get the course guide for further details.
Recognition Of Prior Learning
We value the diverse skills and expertise you may have gained from various sources. These experiences can be acknowledged through our Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) process
For a more comprehensive understanding of our RPL procedure, please refer to our Credit Transfer & Recognition of Prior Learning Policy, available in the Key Student Information section of our website. Alternatively, you can contact an Enrolment Consultant to discuss your RPL options.
- Multiple choice Quiz
- Role plays
- Work Placement
- Written assignments
The following resources are provided to you via OpenSpace:
- Learning activities
- Readings, journals and articles
- Access to a variety of state and national mental health legislations and information sources
Open Colleges offers this qualification in association with Integrated Care & Management Training Pty Ltd (Provider number: 90197). The testamur will be issued by Integrated Care & Management Training Pty Ltd.
- Diploma of Counselling (CHC51015)
- Diploma of Youth Work (CHC50413)
- Diploma of Community Services (CHC52015)
Who's it for?
- Ideal for those just entering the sector or those with some experience in community services, this course will provide you with an introduction to mental health work
- Communicate with clients and co-workers
- Address communication needs
- Facilitate meetings
- Identify and respond to legal requirements
- Identify and meet ethical responsibilities
- Contribute to workplace improvements
- Work from a trauma informed care perspective
- Utilise self-care strategies
- Contribute to the continuous improvement of trauma informed care in services
- Prepare for assessment
- Analyse the person’s needs using a collaborative approach
- Determine appropriate services
- Complete reporting
- Evaluate assessment and referral processes
- Assess capacity to provide support to a person with co-existing mental health and AOD issues
- Work collaboratively to provide support services to address co-existing issues
- Facilitate links to further care
- Collaborate with the person to minimise risk
- Review and report on support provided
About Open Colleges
Open Colleges puts you at the centre of everything we do. As an institution, we measure our success in the success of our students.
We have more than 125 years of experience in distance education, and this has given us the time to perfect the ways we deliver education and training to people across Australia. In the last decade alone, we’ve helped more than 450,000 students reach their potential.
We understand the needs of adult learners. That’s why we created OpenSpace, our world-class online learning platform that gives you complete flexibility and control to study whenever and wherever you are. OpenSpace provides you with access to learning resources, expert trainers and assessors, a superior support network and the opportunity to connect with other learners just like you.
Our nationally recognised courses could help you launch, change or accelerate your career. Now is the time to make your next move. With Open Colleges, everything could happen.
Open Colleges Pty Ltd is a Registered Training Organization (RTO 90796)