Understand the human mind and the counselling process.
Learn practical skills and techniques to successfully help others work through their problems with counselling. This online course was designed by experts for anyone whose role has a pastoral care component or those who would like to pursue a career in counselling.
Duration & study load
300 hours. Learn at your own pace, but ideally complete this diploma in three months (two modules per month).
- Extend your understanding of psychology
- Learn the skills to counsel people and help them resolve their problems
- Prepare yourself to begin formal qualification in this field
Includes case studies, quizzes and written assessments.
TestimonialsAlena Perkin - Diploma in Psychology & Counselling
I absolutely love the course and the tutors are awesome and very helpful. I have had no problems apart from getting my latest assessment graded but the help I have received from Career Academy has been awesome.
Module 1Introduction to Psychology
- The nature and scope of psychology
- Neurological basis of behaviour
- Environmental effects on behaviour
- Consciousness and perception
- Psychological development
- Needs, drives and motivation
Module 2Psychology & Counselling
- Abnormal behaviour
- Individual behaviour
- Group behaviour
- Methods of dealing with abnormalities
- Conflict resolution
- Interpersonal communication skills
Module 3Counselling Skills
- Learning specific counselling skills
- Listening & bonding
- Interview techniques
- Changing beliefs and normalising
- Finding solutions
- Ending the counselling
Module 4Advanced Counselling Skills
- The Counselling Session – how micro-skills come together
- Focus on the Present – present experiences; feedback; transference; projection; resistance
- Telephone Counselling – non-visual contact; preparation; initial contact; overall process; debriefing; types of problem callers
- Dealing with Crises – defining crisis; types of crisis; counsellor’s responses and intervention; post-traumatic stress
- Aggression – expressing anger; encouraging change; role-play; externalising anger
- Depression – blocked anger; referral practice; chronic depression; setting goals; promoting action
- Grief and Loss – loss of relationships; children and grief; stages of grief
- Problem-Solving Techniques : Suicide – ethics; reasons for suicide; perceived risk; counselling strategies;
Module 5Professional Practice in Counselling
- Understanding Counselling
- Ethics & Confidentiality
- Understanding the Self: Self-awareness; Self-monitoring; Self-concept; Social Perception; Attribution theory.
- Personality: What is a healthy personality?; Trait approach; Psychodynamic approach; Humanistic approach; Social learning and cognitive approaches.
- Emotions & Behaviour: What are emotions?; Emotions and Counselling; Effect on communication
- Supervision: Why supervision?; Working with others; Quantity and effectiveness of supervision; Personal counselling; Dependency; Types of supervision.
- Referral Practice: Counselling v mental health issues; Secondary care counsellors; Abnormal psychology; Anxiety; Depression; Schizophrenia; Personality disorders.
Module 6Counselling Techniques
- Psychoanalytic psychotherapy l – Freud, Erikson, Jung
- Psychoanalytical psychotherapy ll – Adler
- Humanistic/Existential approaches I – Gestalt Therapy; Fritz Perls
- Humanistic/Existential approaches II – Person-Centred Counselling; Carl Rogers
- Rational behavioural therapy – Albert Ellis
- Cognitive behavioural therapy – Aaron Beck
- Behavioural therapy
- Solution-focused counselling
About The Career Academy
By submiting an enquiry on this Diploma in Psychology & Counselling, you will receive a complimentary course consultation with The Career Academy. The Career Academy is a leading Australian provider of online courses. Their education driven team are committed to providing exceptional online courses and personal tutor support. The Career Academy offers a range of specialist courses to improve job performance and their focus is on mentoring, inspiring and supporting people through training so their career or business can reap the rewards. The Career Academy’s course delivery is flexible, so their students can study with minimal disruption to their daily life. They offer flexible payment plans so anyone wanting to learn has the opportunity no matter their circumstances. Many of their tutors are qualified Chartered Accountants and hold a Certificate IV in Training and Assessment.
Want to know more about this course? Simply fill out this short form to receive a free course consultation with The Career Academy.
Included in your The Career Academy course consultation:
- Pricing and payment options
- Start dates
- Delivery mode - online or in-class
- Career advice
- How to get help and contact information
- Everything you need to know before enrolling!