Do you have an interest in the environment, enjoy being outdoors and hands-on? This course will provide you with specialised knowledge of natural resource management, with an emphasis on technical and practical skills. You will learn about natural area restoration, catchment and wildlife management, plant and animal identification, community engagement, fire management, survey techniques, mapping, sustainable land use and pest management.
You will benefit from our location close to many State and National Parks, coastal environments and catchment areas, which are used regularly for field work. These field trips also provide the opportunity to increase your employability skills and gain industry contacts.
It is highly recommended that you complete the ACH40916 Certificate IV in Conservation and Land Management to obtain hands on experience and knowledge before attempting this course. 4 units from the Certificate IV can be carried over to the Diploma leaving only 6 units to complete at the diploma level.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Park ranger
- Landcare project officer
- Catchment or natural resource management officer
- Fire management officer
- Flora and fauna management
- Conservation team member
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
- East Geelong
Duration Study Load
Full-time: 2 years
Changes to delivery due to COVID-19
The Gordon will utilise Gordon Online, our digital learning management system. Classes will be delivered using audio-visual delivery methods to ensure students continue to learn and reach their study goals during isolation.
- Applicants must be aged 17 years and over at the time of course commencement
- Applicants are required to undertake an independent assessment test to ensure they can satisfactorily attain Australian Core Skills Framework Level 3 in both reading and numeracy to apply for a VET Student Loan. To meet the academic requirements for the course, applicants are expected to have literacy and numeracy skills at Year 11 or Australian Core Skills Framework Level 3
During the course, you will be required to undertake a minimum of 120 hours of industry experience.
Assessment for this course is based on:
- Hands-on projects
- Written assignments
- Industry placement
- Team projects
About The Gordon Institute of TAFE
The Gordon Institute of TAFE is one of the largest regional TAFEs in Victoria and has been helping people gain real skills for real jobs for over 130 years. We pride ourselves on delivering a great range of TAFE courses from short courses to nationally accredited training across apprenticeships, traineeships, certificates, diplomas, and advanced diplomas, which can lead you to a great career or create pathways to university.
Gordon Institute of TAFE is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO 3044)