- This course is eligible for JobTrainer and Free TAFE in 2021
Do you love interacting with young children, and would like to be involved in their early development, education and care?
This course will equip you with skills and knowledge to develop, evaluate and implement programs for babies, infants, pre-school and school-age children in a variety of settings.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Qualified childcare worker – room leader
- Qualified out of school hours coordinator
- Kindergarden assistant/3yo group teacher
- Family day carer
What You'll Learn
The course involves both theory and practical childcare training and assessment at a senior level, covering:
- Programming and planning
- Caring for children
- Supervising children and interpreting observations
- Participating in the work environment
- Responding to illnesses, accidents and emergencies
- Frameworks, sustainability and compliance
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration Study Load
- 18 months: Study in Geelong or Werribee, 3 days per week
- 2021 Ongoing Traineeships available in a Workplace, Full-time: 2 – 4 yrs
Changes to delivery due to COVID-19
The Gordon is utilising Gordon Online, our digital learning management system to ensure students continue to learn and reach their study goals during isolation. Classes are being delivered live (in real-time) using audio-visual delivery methods. Where on-campus attendance is required to complete practical learning and assessments, student numbers are being managed to ensure social distancing can be observed.
- Applicants must be aged 18 or over
- Applicants must be able to provide their Year 12 certificate OR evidence that they have completed a Certificate IV or above level, otherwise they will be required to undertake an independent assessment test to ensure they can satisfactorily attain Australian Core Skills Framework Level 3 in both reading and numeracy to apply for a VET Student Loan. To meet the academic requirements for the course, applicants are expected to have literacy skills at Year 12 or Australian Core Skills Framework Level 4 and numeracy skills at Year 11 or Australian Core Skills Framework Level 3
- Working with Children Check & Police Check required for industry work placement
- Apprenticeship and traineeship applicants must be currently employed under a training contract and referred by their employer
When you study on-campus, you will also complete two industry placements through our established network of providers:
- First placement: four days per week over four weeks.
- Second placement: four days per week over five weeks.
You will be required to obtain a current and approved Working with Children Check at your own expense to meet workplace regulatory requirements.
Recognition Of Prior Learning
Each qualification is made up of units of study. To gain RPL, you will need to demonstrate that you have the required skills and knowledge to meet the competencies of the unit.
Assessment for this course is based on:
- Hands-on projects
- Workplace tasks
- Written assignments
- Industry placement
- Team projects
About The Gordon Institute of TAFE
The Gordon Institute of TAFE is one of the largest regional TAFEs in Victoria and has been helping people gain real skills for real jobs for over 130 years. We pride ourselves on delivering a great range of TAFE courses from short courses to nationally accredited training across apprenticeships, traineeships, certificates, diplomas, and advanced diplomas, which can lead you to a great career or create pathways to university.
Gordon Institute of TAFE is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO 3044)