This nationally recognised course gives you an immediate qualification to work in a creative, diverse, constantly evolving industry. Advance your natural technical and creative abilities, and learn about corporate branding, commercial printing and freelance design involving illustration, packaging, digital media, and more. Our gold standard industry partnerships guarantee that you have lots of placement opportunities and the chance to explore your ideal niche, and The Gordon is a member of the Design Institute of Australia, which means you may also be eligible for membership as a Gordon student or graduate.
A digital folio is required for entry. Check the entrance requirements below.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Graphic designer
- Junior art director
- Computer finished artist
- Publication designer
What You'll Learn
With lots of real work opportunities, you’ll develop your design skills and experience for work in areas such as:
- Corporate branding
- Digital media
- Illustration and other design work
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration Study Load
- Full-time: 12 months
Changes to delivery due to COVID-19
The Gordon will utilise Gordon Online, our digital learning management system. Classes will be delivered using audio-visual delivery methods to ensure students continue to learn and reach their study goals during isolation.
- Applicants must be aged 17 or over at the time of course commencement.
- Applicants are expected to have literacy and numeracy skills at Year 11 or Australian Core Skills Framework Level 3 to meet the academic requirements for the course.
To be eligible to apply for a VET Student Loan applicants will be required to:
- undertake an independent assessment test to ensure they possess Level 3 in reading and numeracy, or
- provide their Year 12 certificate, or
- provide evidence of completion of a Certificate IV or above.
Applicants must provide evidence, via submission of a digital folio, of their technical skills and ability to: produce multiple examples of graphic design work that responds effectively to different design challenges, produce typography that supports the overall design solution and use graphic design industry software. Skills may have been acquired through personal or work experience, or through formal study.
You must reside in Victoria to access Victorian Government Subsidised Fees and any incentive such as Job Trainer. Full fees apply to all non-Victorian residents.
Each student must complete a pre-training review as part of their application. The outcome of your pre-training review assists our teachers and trainers to better understand your capabilities prior to training and enables you to be matched to the right program. Your literacy and numeracy skills will be evaluated and you may be required to undertake a separate assessment.
Recognition Of Prior Learning
Each qualification is made up of units of study. To gain RPL, you will need to demonstrate that you have the required skills and knowledge to meet the competencies of the unit.
- Hands-on projects
- Workplace tasks
- Written assignments
- Industry placement
About The Gordon Institute of TAFE
The Gordon Institute of TAFE is one of the largest regional TAFEs in Victoria and has been helping people gain real skills for real jobs for over 130 years. We pride ourselves on delivering a great range of TAFE courses from short courses to nationally accredited training across apprenticeships, traineeships, certificates, diplomas, and advanced diplomas, which can lead you to a great career or create pathways to university.
Gordon Institute of TAFE is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO 3044)