This course is only available to students in Victoria
Do you see yourself working as an interior designer or decorator? This course will give you the creative and technical skills to design interiors for residential and commercial buildings. This course includes residential construction methods, 2D and 3D modelling, colour and fabric selection, graphic presentation, interpret design briefs and develop solutions for design projects, create decoration proposals for complex sites, design for small to medium scale commercial and institutional interiors, monitor and manage small business operations.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Freelance decorator/design consultant
- Retail decorator/design consultant
- Home furnishing consultant
- Colour consultant
- Architectural interior designer
What You'll Learn
- Residential construction methods
- 2D and 3D modelling
- Colour and fabric selection
- Graphic presentation
- Interpret design briefs and develop solutions for design projects
- Create decoration proposals for complex sites
- Design for small to medium scale commercial and institutional interiors
- Monitor and manage small business operations
You’ll also develop a portfolio of work to show potential employers, and build a network of industry contacts.
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
- East Geelong
Duration Study Load
Full-time: 2 yrs
The Gordon will utilise Gordon Online, our digital learning management system. Classes will be delivered using audio-visual delivery methods to ensure students continue to learn and reach their study goals during isolation.
- Applicants must be 17 years and over at the time of course commencement.
- Applicants are required to undertake an independent assessment test to ensure they can satisfactorily attain Australian Core Skills Framework Level 3 in both reading and numeracy to apply for a VET Student Loan. To meet the academic requirements for the course, applicants are expected to have literacy and numeracy skills at Year 11 or Australian Core Skills Framework Level 3
- Design skills and knowledge are desirable
Recognition Of Prior Learning
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL), formally recognises a person’s existing skills and knowledge towards the achievement of a nationally recognised qualification or statement of attainment.
Skills may have been gained through:
- Work experience
- Formal training and education (you may be eligible for a credit transfer)
- Informal training and education
- General life experience
- Voluntary work
Assessment for this course is based on:
- Written assignments
- Team projects
About The Gordon Institute of TAFE
The Gordon Institute of TAFE is one of the largest regional TAFEs in Victoria and has been helping people gain real skills for real jobs for over 130 years. We pride ourselves on delivering a great range of TAFE courses from short courses to nationally accredited training across apprenticeships, traineeships, certificates, diplomas, and advanced diplomas, which can lead you to a great career or create pathways to university.
Gordon Institute of TAFE is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO 3044)