- This course is eligible for government funding in WA only. It is fee-for-service in all other states
Would you like to follow a career path that will equip you with specialised skills to lead and counsel people towards a brighter future? If a career in providing counselling with those experiencing mental illness interests you, the Diploma of Mental Health qualification with TrainSmart Australia will take you there.
The CHC53315 Diploma of Mental Health course will equip you with specialised knowledge and skill to provide counselling, referrals, advocacy and education/health promotion services to Australia’s Mental Health sector.
When you study the Diploma of Mental Health at TrainSmart Australia, you will gain access to our team of experienced, professional and friendly trainers, each who bring their own lived and work experiences from the Health & Community Services field. Our trainers will give you 1 to 1 support throughout this Diploma course to help you understand the course content, give valuable feedback on your theoretical and practical assessments, and help you towards realising and achieving your career pathway goals.
During this course, you will also be subjected to 160 hours of work placement to expose you to a real-world setting and allow you to apply and develop the skills you have learned during your online study. Our work placement officer will work with you to arrange your placement programs.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Community Development Officer
- Family Support Worker
- Welfare Worker
- Disability Services
What You'll Learn
- The CHC53315 Diploma of Mental Health covers 20 units focused on achieving specialist knowledge and competencies in areas related to the Health & Community Services sector
- In this course, you will learn how to promote the social, emotional and physical well-being of your clients, respond to crises (domestic violence, trauma patients) situations, provide wellness plans to clients and much more
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration Study Load
- 12 months with the opportunity to extend
- 15-20 hours of weekly study is required to ensure your progression
- This course is offered fully online with practical assessments delivered through Video Conferencing. Work placement is also required as a part of this qualification
TrainSmart Australia will assess a student’s ‘academic suitability to ensure the student has the best chance of success. This is determined by either:
- The student providing TrainSmart Australia with a copy of an Australian year 12 certificate; or,
- The student providing TrainSmart Australia with a copy of a Certificate IV qualification (or above) that can be verified or,
- The student completing the Core Skills Profile for Adults online assessment passing at or above Exit Level 3 in the Australian Core Skills Framework in both reading and numeracy
- You may be required to complete a Bridging Course if you do not meet the above academic suitability criteria or at the request of our career advisory team
Please note, we are unable to enrol international students at this time
- To study this Diploma of Mental Health course online, you’ll have access to our online learning management system, LearnSmart, to access all your course material and assessments
- In LearnSmart, you will have multiple attempts to submit your assessments and receive trainer feedback
- There are 160 hours of work placement required for this course. We have Work Placement Officers and Coordinators who can assist you in finding work placement
Recognition Of Prior Learning
- TrainSmart Australia students are eligible to apply for RPL. This will be conducted with a trainer through a series of interviews and document collation
- Assessments are by way of written assignments and have a practical component. To achieve this qualification, you will be required to complete a range of practical activities (simulation exercises) either online or face-to-face
- TrainSmart Australia will give you advance notice so you can make necessary arrangements to ensure you are able to participate in these practical activities
- This community services course requires 160 hours of work placement in an appropriate organisation. TrainSmart Australia assists to identify a suitable organisation or the student may nominate an organisation of their choice
- All learning materials are online within our learning management system, LearnSmart. Learning materials include pdf textbooks, video lecture recordings, audio files and additional resources
This Diploma course requires 20 units of competencies to be achieved.
About TrainSmart Australia
For more than ten years, TrainSmart Australia has helped thousands of people from all different backgrounds to achieve their career goals. We pride ourselves on our stellar reputation and commitment to helping our students get their foot in the door of their chosen industry. Whether you want to upskill to make yourself more employable in your field, or you’re looking to change careers altogether, TrainSmart Australia offers a wide range of courses that are sure to suit your needs.
All our courses are approved and accredited by both the government and relevant industry bodies, which means you’ll be ready to hit the ground running.
SMR Learning Services Pty Ltd t/a TrainSmart Australia & New Horizons Learning Centre (Perth) which is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO 51771)