Public policy is where lasting change is made.
With the University of Canberra’s online Graduate Certificate in Public Policy, you can build your knowledge in data analytics, extend your understanding inequity and leadership frameworks and gain a strong foundation in research, briefings and policy planning.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Adviser – Policy & Government Relations
- Policy & Research Manager
- Senior Adviser, Policy & Planning
- Policy & Stakeholder Engagement Officer
What You'll Learn
Gain the foundations of public policy
- Build core competencies in public policy, governance, equity and public participation.
Recognise equity concerns
- Examine the concept of equity from multiple standpoints, its expression in policy and how these concepts continue to change over time.
Engage in evidence-based policy design
- Understand rudimentary concepts, techniques and methods employed in policy analysis, and evaluate the credibility of policy analysis as an understanding of policy-making in the real world.
Learn data analytics relevant to policy-making
- Know how to summarise highlights, identify patterns and trends, interpret data, understand its quality and limitations, and communicate these meaningfully to policymakers.
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration Study Load
- 4 units (7 weeks each)
- 8 months part-time
- 15 to 20 hours of online study per week
General Admission Requirements
To be eligible for the Graduate Certificate in Public Policy, applicants must have either:
- a recognised bachelor’s degree or equivalent, or
- a higher-level qualification in any discipline, from a recognised tertiary institution, or
- three years of relevant work experience.
- There are non-standard English language requirements for this course. To be eligible, you must have an overall IELTS Academic score (or equivalent) of 6.5, with no band score below 6.0.
Supported online learning
Learn 100% online with support from UC’s politics, public policy, economics, legal and business experts.
Built for policy professionals
Gain the practical, analytical and comprehensive skills required to curate policy research and recommendations, applying them to real-world contexts.
Learn from the home of policy-making
Benefit from UC’s decades of policy knowledge and close ties with the policy community.
Why Study With UC?
Our practical, supported and accelerated online courses are designed to deliver outcomes that create real impact and inspire real change in the world around us. UC postgraduate courses are not only delivered online – they are career-relevant and designed for demand so you can apply your learning faster.
- #1 in the world for reducing inequalities*
- #2 young university in Australia^
*Times Higher Education (THE) Impact Rankings, 2021
About University of Canberra
The University of Canberra (UC) is a hub of learning, practical courses and innovative research. It is a place where ideas are born, creativity is explored and opportunity is created.
UC is a university for the professions, dedicated to providing immersive student experiences focused on employability outcomes.
We have been recognised as the fastest rising university in Australia (QS, 2022) and have been ranked number one in Canberra for full-time employment for four years in a row (Good Universities Guide 2022).
This success is in part due to our two-pronged focus, encompassing progressive, expert teaching alongside strong ties to industry. This means that students enjoy real-world work experience and get a taste of their future careers, even before graduation.