in partnership with
Please Note: This course was previously known as Graduate Diploma in Energy and the Environment (Global Warming and Climate Science) .
The Graduate Diploma in Energy & Environment has been designed to provide postgraduate training for Australian and international professionals working (or wishing to work) in the field of environmental management within the energy industry.
The course aims to provide students with an understanding of the policy context of energy systems, the associated environmental impacts and their assessment and subsequent monitoring. Particular focus is paid to the Greenhouse Gas (GHG) and global warming issues, currently demanding much attention at all levels of society.
Key potential employers include:
- Government agencies
- Large companies that will acquire GHG obligations
- Companies entering or expanding their operations in the carbon trading arena
- Organisations active in the GHG policy debate
- Industry organisations seeking to advise members of obligations and potential opportunities
What you'll learn
Graduates of a Graduate Diploma will have:
- skills to report on energy consumption and carbon emissions, critique and improve energy policy, and conduct research into innovative energy solutions,
- skills in spatial data analysis using graphical information systems (GIS) and remote sensing for the purposes of environmental management and planning,
- skills in developing policy instruments, environmental decision-making and public engagement with relation to environmental assessment and management,
- skills in collecting, analyzing, interpreting and reporting data from environmental monitoring programs,
- cognitive skills to review, analyse, consolidate and synthesise knowledge and identify and provide solutions to problems,
- cognitive skills to think critically and to generate and evaluate complex ideas
- specialised technical and creative skills in a field of skilled and/or professional practice,
- communication skills to demonstrate an understanding of theoretical concepts, and
- communication skills to transfer complex knowledge and ideas to a variety of audiences.
The course is designed in a way that the postgraduate students, irrespective of their previous degrees, can learn aspects of management, sustainability, policy and climate science in relation to environmental aspects of energy project development. The course also teaches students research skills that allow them to investigate a particular area of interest in the field of energy, develop a research plan and write a scientific report.
An undergraduate degree or equivalent from a recognised tertiary institution. Some of the units have a prerequisite for Upper High School or introductory university level Physics. If an applicant does not have this background, then the OUA Unit SCI16 Introduction to Physics can be taken to satisfy this prerequisite. Such a student will still need to complete the eight required units for this Degree.
English Language Proficiency Requirements
International Applicants, and Australian applicants whose first language is not English, must demonstrate competency in the English language. The minimum English language requirements are: International English Language Testing System (IELTS Academic): with a minimum overall score of 6.0 (no individual band less than 6.0).
For more information about this course or to enrol please complete the enquiry form.
About Open Universities Australia
By submiting an enquiry on this Graduate Diploma in Energy and the Environment, you will receive a complimentary course consultation with Open Universities Australia. For over twenty years Open Universities Australia has opened the doors for students undertaking online higher education or professional development. We are proud and committed to helping students succeed on their study journeys. OUA recognises students’ need for flexible learning schedules that fit into their lives, and our goal is to provide an education that fits your lifestyle.
Want to know more about this course? Simply fill out this short form to receive a free course consultation with Open Universities Australia.
Included in your Open Universities Australia course consultation:
- Pricing and payment options
- Start dates
- Delivery mode - online or in-class
- Career advice
- How to get help and contact information
- Everything you need to know before enrolling!