Public policy is where lasting change is made.
By undertaking the University of Canberra’s online Graduate Diploma in Public Policy, you can build on your foundation in public policy with comprehensive knowledge in data analytics, fundamental economic modelling, policy analysis and evaluation – all supported by the expertise of leading policy practitioners.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Adviser – Policy & Government Relations
- Policy & Research Manager
- Senior Adviser, Policy & Planning
- Policy & Stakeholder Engagement Officer
What You'll Learn
Policy analysis and evaluation
- Learn to address critical questions about how we interpret findings from policy analysis and evaluation to provide a sound evidence base for policy-making.
Communicating policy expertise
- Understand the art of effectively communicating public policy initiatives, goals and outcomes between governments, other public sector departments, NGOs and the community.
Co-design and deliberative engagement
- Investigate the power and limits of participatory forms of policy-making, and reflect on what it means to collaborate meaningfully with different stakeholders today.
Understanding of public policy governance and law
- Gain an understanding of the intersection between Australian public law and public policy in various areas, as well as current debates for reform.
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration Study Load
- 8 units (7 weeks each)
- 16 months part-time
- 15 to 20 hours of online study per week
General Admission Requirements
To be eligible for the Graduate Diploma in Public Policy, applicants must have either:
- a recognised bachelor’s degree or equivalent, or
- a higher-level qualification in any discipline, from a recognised tertiary institution, or
- three years of relevant work experience, or
- completed the Graduate Certificate in Public Policy or the Graduate Certificate in Policy Evaluation with the University.
- There are non-standard English language requirements for this course. To be eligible, you must have an overall IELTS Academic score (or equivalent) of 6.5, with no band score below 6.0.
Supported online learning
Learn 100% online with support from UC’s politics, public policy, economics, legal and business experts.
Built for policy professionals
Gain the practical, analytical and comprehensive skills required to curate policy research and recommendations, applying them to real-world contexts.
Learn from the home of policy-making
Benefit from UC’s decades of policy knowledge and close ties with the policy community.
Why Study With UC?
Our practical, supported and accelerated online courses are designed to deliver outcomes that create real impact and inspire real change in the world around us. UC postgraduate courses are not only delivered online – they are career-relevant and designed for demand so you can apply your learning faster.
- #1 in the world for reducing inequalities*
- #2 young university in Australia^
*Times Higher Education (THE) Impact Rankings, 2021
About University of Canberra
The University of Canberra (UC) is a hub of learning, practical courses and innovative research. It is a place where ideas are born, creativity is explored and opportunity is created.
UC is a university for the professions, dedicated to providing immersive student experiences focused on employability outcomes.
We have been recognised as the fastest rising university in Australia (QS, 2022) and have been ranked number one in Canberra for full-time employment for four years in a row (Good Universities Guide 2022).
This success is in part due to our two-pronged focus, encompassing progressive, expert teaching alongside strong ties to industry. This means that students enjoy real-world work experience and get a taste of their future careers, even before graduation.