Gain the power to make a difference as an ethical legal professional.
The law is a fundamental part of our society, from the rules that govern us to the rights that protect us. Learn the legal fundamentals, advanced advocacy skills and practical problem-solving strategies for a changing world with the University of Canberra online Juris Doctor.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Legal counsel
- Workplace relations consultant
- Family lawyer
- Legal case manager
What You'll Learn
Legal fundamentals- Gain the foundations in legal studies to develop diverse and inclusive advocacy abilities and legal skills, while understanding the theory and history of law
Problem prevention problem solving – Learn practical legal problem-solving and dispute resolution skills, including evaluating responses to legal issues and solutions to legal problems
Manage new worlds of technology, business and justice – Discover how the law engages with and shapes disruptive technologies, and understand the profession’s broader social and economic contexts
Flexible work-integrated learning – As a student, you’ll have the flexibility to build a course that aligns with your professional goals, with opportunities to apply your knowledge throughout the course
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration Study Load
- 4 years part-time or 3 years part-time fast-tracked
General Admission Requirements
- To be eligible for the Juris Doctor, applicants must have an undergraduate degree (or equivalent) in any non-law discipline, with a GPA of at least 5/7
- There are non-standard English language requirements for this course
- To be eligible you must have an overall IELTS Academic score (or equivalent) of 6.5, with no band score below 6.0
- Understand legal fundamentals
- Develop practical dispute resolution skills
- Learn about justice in disruptive industries
- Complete a research-based project and law internship
- Study online around your life and work
- Experience support at every stage
About University of Canberra
The University of Canberra (UC) is a hub of learning, practical courses and innovative research. It is a place where ideas are born, creativity is explored and opportunity is created.
UC is a university for the professions, dedicated to providing immersive student experiences focused on employability outcomes.
We have been recognised as the fastest rising university in Australia (QS, 2022) and have been ranked number one in Canberra for full-time employment for four years in a row (Good Universities Guide 2022).
This success is in part due to our two-pronged focus, encompassing progressive, expert teaching alongside strong ties to industry. This means that students enjoy real-world work experience and get a taste of their future careers, even before graduation.