Cyber security is a booming industry, with research predicting that the growing gap between available qualified cyber security professionals and unfulfilled positions globally will reach 1.8 million by 2022¹. It is predicted that Australia will need between 11,000 to 18,000 additional cyber security workers by 2028².
Accelerated and 100% online, the Master of Cyber Security is designed for tech experts and cyber professionals who want to establish themselves as professional experts and trusted leaders at the forefront of the cyber security field.
Informed by global best practices and cutting-edge research, the course will provide you with the tools and techniques to predict, identify and mitigate cyber risk, and the knowledge and strategies to defend and respond to threats and attacks, protecting organisations, people, their data and rights.
You will gain highly technical and hands-on skills that are immediately applicable to industry needs, placing you in high demand in the global and growing cyber security job market.
¹Frost & Sullivan, 2017 Global Information Security Workforce Study, 2017
²AustCyber, Cyber Security, A Roadmap to enable growth opportunities for Australia, 2018
What You'll Learn
The course has 12 units of study made up as follows:
- Six core units
- Three specialisation units
- One capstone project (equivalent to three units) focused on your area of interest
You can hone your expertise in your area of interest with one of two specialisations:
- Master of Cyber Security (Technical Analysis) – further advancing your technical cyber security skills
- Master of Cyber Security (Governance) – broadening your knowledge of cyber policy, governance, ethics and law
- You also have the option of studying the Graduate Certificate or Graduate Diploma of Cyber Security
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration Study Load
- 24 months part-time
- 12 Units in total
Course admission requirements
To gain entry to the Master of Cyber Security, applicants must:
- Have a Bachelor degree in any discipline, or;
- Demonstrate a minimum of five years of relevant professional experience
- All applicants must satisfy English competency standards
Special entry may be considered for students with a cognate first degree (or with appropriate experience) who can apply for a reduced course duration:
- 1.5 years full time (3 years part-time) – 180 credit points
Admission is based on:
- Bachelor degree in a related discipline*, or
- Bachelor degree in any discipline, plus five years relevant work experience^, or
- Graduate Certificate of Cyber Security (or equivalent), or
- Evidence of academic capability is judged to be equivalent
*Related discipline refers to any cyber security/ICT-related discipline
^Relevant work experience constitutes Senior/Managerial positions to be approved by the Course Coordinator
Cyber career ready
- Stand out as a cyber security expert, with advanced technical skills and comprehensive knowledge of best practice approaches to cyber security designed to fit current and future industry needs
- We have been the pioneers in this field of teaching, with over 15 years of experience offering cyber courses, from undergraduate to postgraduate and postdoctoral. We’re also a lead partner of the Cyber Security Cooperative Research Centre (CRC), along with the WA State Government and 23 other industry, research and government partners
Centre of Excellence
- ECU has one of the best cyber security research and education teams in Australia. The ECU Master of Cyber Security is the only online Master of Cyber Security in Australia delivered by an Academic Centre of Cyber Security Excellence as recognised by the Federal Government
- Our academics have strong industry connections and regularly consult with private and public institutions including Bankwest, Commonwealth Bank, WA Police and DFAT. Two of the team are also members of Interpol’s Cyber Crime Experts Group
Accelerated & 100% Online
- Graduate sooner to take advantage of this in-demand cyber security field. Delivered 100% online, you could complete the Master of Cyber Security in as little as two years whilst continuing to work full-time, meaning you can take advantage of the growing employment opportunities sooner
About Edith Cowan University Online
At ECU we are guided by our values of integrity, respect, rational inquiry and personal excellence. Our focus on teaching and research is inspired by engagement and partnerships with those in the many communities we were established to serve.
Fit postgraduate study around your life and graduate sooner with our flexible and accessible accelerated and online courses from ECU Online.
Find the right postgraduate course for your career development. We offer qualifications in Education, Counselling, Cyber Security and Human Resource Management, which will equip you with the skills, knowledge and credentials to advance in your career.