- James Cook University does NOT accept enquiries for those who are not a registered nurse or midwife with AHPRA
With a rapidly ageing population, changes in technology, changes in management demands, and the evolution of nursing knowledge and practice, there are growing opportunities for
qualified senior nurses and nurse leaders in Australia.
JCU Online’s Master of Nursing gives you the qualifications and skills you need to evolve your career as fast as healthcare itself is changing. It will allow you to take on more complex roles and deliver better patient care.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Clinical Nurse Specialist
- Clinical Nurse Consultant
- Leadership & Management
- Nurse Unit Manager
- Executive nursing roles such as Director of Nursing
- Clinical Teacher
- Nurse Educator
- Higher Education and Academia roles
What You'll Learn
JCU Online’s Master of Nursing offers three principal specialisations:
- Leadership and Management: Giving you the confidence and knowledge to embrace leadership or management positions in healthcare
- Advanced Practice: Giving you the skills you need to deliver advanced patient care
- Education: Giving you the ability to take on educational practice roles in clinical or non-clinical environments
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration Study Load
- 24 months
- 12 subjects in total
- Complete up to six subjects per year
- Completion of an AQF Level 7 Bachelor of Nursing, or equivalent qualification, and registration as a Registered Nurse (Division 1) or Registered Midwife with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA); or equivalent registration with the relevant registering authority for applicants outside of Australia
- A minimum of one year’s full-time clinical experience, or the part-time equivalent, as a Registered Nurse
- Applicants of non-English speaking backgrounds must meet the English language proficiency requirements of Band 3a – Schedule II of the JCU Admissions Policy
Personalised support from your Success Advisor
Benefit from the support of a one-on-one Success Advisor during your online degree. Along with your tutors, your Success Advisor is there for you from your first day as a student with JCU Online. They are readily available to help you navigate your online degree and to help keep you motivated throughout your course.
Enjoyable interactive learning environment
JCU’s interactive, immersive online environment makes learning enjoyable, no matter what topic you’re studying. Video, audio, forums and practical exercises suit a wide range of personal learning styles and help learning come to life. Connect with peers and tutors via live chat sessions when and where it suits you
Exceptional teaching with strong industry connections
Our leading nursing educators and researchers have developed strong partnerships with hospitals and healthcare professionals throughout Australia. This ensures our course content is relevant and informed by the latest approaches to high-quality, innovative and cost-effective nurse leadership and care
Qualify from a world-class university
Ranked among the world’s top universities and in the top ten nursing schools in Australia,* a Master of Nursing from JCU Online is a highly respected qualification that will give your CV an edge
Recognition Of Prior Learning
- If you have previously studied related subjects, experienced on-the-job training, or gained skills that are relevant to this course, you may be eligible to receive credit towards your Master of Nursing. This could cut the overall time it takes to complete your degree
- You must be a registered nurse (Division 1) or a registered midwife with AHPRA to be eligible for this course
About James Cook University
Study when it suits you, receive personal academic support and make your CV shine with a qualification from an internationally recognised university.
With a reputation for excellence in teaching and research, we know the value of a world-class education: our students graduate to become leaders in their fields and their communities. What’s more, JCU has been awarded five stars for graduate job success for six years running by The Good Universities Guide.
Through our postgraduate courses, we aim to empower professionals to have a positive impact and make their lives matter. Enrol and gain the skills to build your brighter future, today.