Public policy is where lasting change is made.
The University of Canberra’s online Master of Public Policy course will give you the practical skills required to put the public at the heart of public policy with capabilities in research, report writing, briefings, policy planning and stakeholder management. As you learn, you will develop, grow and apply multidisciplinary knowledge to complex and critical issues relevant to the needs of a changing and dynamic public sector in Australia.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Director of Policy
- Director of Strategy & Governance
- Head of Department
- Policy Lead
- Policy & Research Manager
What You'll Learn
Practical public policy skills
- Grow and apply your knowledge of policy across the expansive public realm as you learn to address complex and critical issues relevant to the public sector.
Diverse, multidisciplinary knowledge
- Gain the ability to address dynamic and pressing policy challenges that span disciplines, departments, sectors and levels of government.
In-demand data analytics skills
- Learn how to critically analyse and understand relevant data analyses and fundamental economic modelling, and how to apply these to policy-making.
Contemporary learning practices
- Develop critical skills including leadership, co-design and communication to drive policy impact across a range of contemporary issues.
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration Study Load
- 12 units (7 weeks each)
- 2 years part-time
- 15 to 20 hours of online study per week
General Admission Requirements
To be eligible for the Master of Public Policy, applicants must have either:
- a recognised bachelor’s degree or equivalent, or
- a higher-level qualification in any discipline, from a recognised tertiary institution, or
- completed the Graduate Certificate in Public Policy, the Graduate Certificate in Policy Evaluation or the Graduate Diploma in Public Policy with the University.
- There are non-standard English language requirements for this course. To be eligible, you must have an overall IELTS Academic score (or equivalent) of 6.5, with no band score below 6.0.
Supported online learning
Learn 100% online with support from UC’s politics, public policy, economics, legal and business experts.
Built for policy professionals
Gain the practical, analytical and comprehensive skills required to curate policy research and recommendations, applying them to real-world contexts.
Learn from the home of policy-making
Benefit from UC’s decades of policy knowledge and close ties with the policy community.
Why Study With UC?
Our practical, supported and accelerated online courses are designed to deliver outcomes that create real impact and inspire real change in the world around us. UC postgraduate courses are not only delivered online – they are career-relevant and designed for demand so you can apply your learning faster.
- #1 in the world for reducing inequalities*
- #2 young university in Australia^
Times Higher Education (THE) Impact Rankings, 2021
About University of Canberra
The University of Canberra (UC) is a hub of learning, practical courses and innovative research. It is a place where ideas are born, creativity is explored and opportunity is created.
UC is a university for the professions, dedicated to providing immersive student experiences focused on employability outcomes.
We have been recognised as the fastest rising university in Australia (QS, 2022) and have been ranked number one in Canberra for full-time employment for four years in a row (Good Universities Guide 2022).
This success is in part due to our two-pronged focus, encompassing progressive, expert teaching alongside strong ties to industry. This means that students enjoy real-world work experience and get a taste of their future careers, even before graduation.