Businesses accumulate data; it’s just one of those things that businesses do. How that data is used is often what separates successful businesses from the ones that scrape by or don’t quite make it. Your ability to use data is determined by how you store it. Data warehouses allow you to store information in such a way that you can easily access it, analyse it and use it to make informed business decisions. Data warehousing software is your best bet to manage and interpret all the information that your business accumulates. One of the most reputable software packages comes from SAP AG, in its SAP NetWeaver Business Warehouse (BW) solution.
According to help.sap.com, SAP BW provides data warehousing functionality, a business intelligence platform and a range of other tools to help business achieve their goals: namely to beat the competition, increase their market share and bump up their profits.
One of the great things about SAP BW is that it not only integrates data from other SAP software solutions but can also use data from external sources to provide insightful reports and analytics.
Table of Contents
Data Warehousing Concepts
According to Data Warehousing Concepts, data warehouses are actually a concept in the greater scheme of warehousing, as are business intelligence, decision support systems and a variety of tools and schemas, such as star schema, conceptual data model, dimensional data model, operational data store, online analytical processing (OLAP) and data mining.
During data mining, information is analysed to give it meaning. Once again, software comes to your aid. According to Doug Alexander, data mining software can be used to predict behaviour and trends and to find hidden patterns. All of which allows your business to get the edge over your competitors.
Alexander says that the benefits of data mining tools include:
- Market segmentation.
- Customer churn.
- Fraud detection.
- Direct marketing.
- Interactive marketing.
- Market basket analysis.
- Trend analysis.
- Automated prediction of trends and behaviours.
- Automated discovery of previously unknown patterns.
Data modelling takes the gathered and analysed data and presents it in easy to understand forms, such as graphs and flow charts. It is especially good at helping people understand the relationships between different types of data, which aids decision making processes. There are several different approaches or levels to dada modelling, including:
- Conceptual data modelling
- Enterprise data modelling
- Logical data modelling
- Physical data modelling
SAP for Data Warehousing and Mining
SAP NetWeaver Business Warehouse (BW) is part of its Business Intelligence (BI) solution and provides data warehousing, analytics and reporting. The data warehousing functionality allows users to find the right information when they need it to facilitate quick and insightful analysis, so that users can spot trends and adapt their business strategies.
SAP’s data warehousing solutions include:
- Enterprise Data Warehouse, powered by SAP HANA, it provides sophisticated data acquisition, business modelling and analytics solutions.
- Business Warehouse Accelerator improves upon the results from enterprise data warehouse and accelerates response times for data searches and queries.
- High-Performance In-Memory Appliance, also powered by SAP HANA.
- Highly Optimised Analytics Server using SAP Sybase IQ.
- Rapid Marts to accelerate data mart implementation and accelerate business intelligence delivery.
SAP BusinessObjects provides data mining solutions while BusinessObjects Predictive Workbench identifies trends and plays out potential future forecasts.
SAP BW Courses
If you want to make the most of SAP’s data warehousing software, you’d do well to complete some BW training and certification courses.
- SAP Education Australia & New Zealand offers a range of courses, including BW Enterprise Reporting: Query and Analysis; BW Enterprise Data Warehousing; BW Modelling and Implementation; BW Web Application Designer; and Integrating SAP BW with SAP Business Intelligence Solutions.
- University of Technology Sydney offers non-award postgraduate SAP Business Intelligence courses, such as Advanced Analysis, which includes data warehousing, data mining and information management.
- SAP Training and Certification Shop offers data warehousing related courses such as Master Date Management Configuration, Master Data Management – Global Data Synchronisation, and Modelling in SAP Master Data Management.
- Sydney Institute of ERP offers an SAP Business Intelligence course that provides detailed knowledge of SAP BW systems, which includes modules on enterprise data warehousing, reporting and query design, advanced enterprise data warehousing and reporting, and integrated planning.
Consult TafeCourses.com.au to find SAP courses that suit your needs and start making the most of your business data today.