Port Macquarie is on the Mid North Coast of New South Wales, right on the Hastings River. It is the fastest growing city in NSW, which is great for students looking for exciting opportunities, as well as a good education. TAFE in Port Macquarie is provided by TAFE NSW North Coast Institute.
Let’s take a closer look at what the North Coast Institute offers TAFE students in Port Macquarie.
Popular TAFE Courses in Port Macquarie
- Diploma of Counselling
- Certificate in MYOB 19
- Certificate III in Education Support (Teacher’s Aide)
- Certificate III in Aged Care
- Certificate IV in Bookkeeping
- Diploma of Share Trading and Investment
- Certificate II in Nail Technology
- Certificate IV in Small Business Management
- Diploma of Events
- Certificate III in Disability
Table of Contents
What TAFE study options are available to me in Port Macquarie?
The institute provides students with a wealth of study opportunities. There are TVET courses for high school students, online and distance courses, special programs, short courses, traineeships and apprenticeships, degree programs, and an AtoB program – Apprentice to Business owner program. Of course, it also provides a wide selection of TAFE certificate and diploma programs in the following areas:
- Community Services & Health
- Construction & Transport
- Creative Industries
- Education & Access to Further Study and Employment
- Hair & Beauty
- Language, Culture & Communication
- Manufacturing & Engineering
- Primary Industries & Natural Resources
- Retail & Logistics
- Tourism, Hospitality & Events
Most of the TAFE courses at Port Macquarie are provided on a semester basis. The exceptions are TAFEnow online courses and the customised training provided to businesses.
A sample of the courses available includes:
- Certificate I in Spoken and Written English
- Certificate II in Business
- Certificate II in Clothing Production (Complex or Multiple Processes)
- Certificate II in Warehousing Operations
- Certificates III in Aged Care
- Certificate III in Children’s Services
- Certificate III in Education Support
- Certificate III in Electronics and Communication
- Certificate III in Marine Studies
- Certificate IV in Allied Health Assistance
- Certificate IV in Community Services Work
- Certificate IV in Fitness
- Certificate IV in Hairdressing
- Certificate IV in Retail Management
- Diploma of Beauty Therapy
- Diploma of Communication and Media
- Diploma of Dance and Teaching Management
- Diploma of Management
- Diploma of Information Technology
- Diploma of Remedial Massage
- Diploma of Tourism
- Advanced Diploma of Events
- Associate Degree of Accounting
There are a variety of compliance-based short courses and other short courses available for professional development and personal interest. Compliance-based short courses are available in the following areas:
- Business; for example, BAS Agent
- Maritime; for example, Working in Confined Spaces
- Hospitality; for example, Food Safety for Supervisors
- Health; for example, Apply First Aid
- Construction; for example, Bonded Asbestos Removal
- Electrotechnology; for example, Electrical Disconnect/Reconnect
- Horticulture; for example, Chemical Risk Management
- Transport; for example, Forklift Operation
Other short courses at Port Macquarie include:
- TAFE PLUS Statement – Body Tanning for the Beauty Industry
- Statement of Attainment – Certified Web Design Specialist Skill Set
- Statement of Attainment – Computer Accounting
- TAFE PLUS Statement – Creative Hair Cutting
- TAFE PLUS Statement – Digital Photography Introduction
- TAFE PLUS Statement – Hot Stone Therapy
- TAFE PLUS Statement – Photoshop Basic
North Coast Institute of TAFE provides students with plenty of options when it comes to online and distance learning. There are over 70 online courses, as well as over 70 flexible distance courses (print and digital format). TAFEnow is the supremely flexible option for students who want complete control over their studies.
Distance learning TAFE courses at the Port Macquarie Campus include:
- Certificate II in Community Pharmacy
- Certificate II in Museum Practice
- Certificate III in Arts Administration
- Certificate III in Holiday Parks and Resorts
- Certificate IV in Bookkeeping
- Certificate IV in Business
- Certificate IV in Veterinary Nursing
- Diploma of Aquaculture
- Diploma of Children’s Services – Early Childhood Education and Care
- Diploma of Marketing
- Graduate Diploma of Management (Learning)
Online courses on offer include:
- Certificate II in Animal Studies
- Certificate III in Business Administration – Legal
- Certificate III in Information, Digital Media and Technology (Support)
- Certificate IV in Human Resources
- Certificate IV in Legal Services
- Certificate IV in Property Services Real Estate
- Diploma of Business
- Diploma of Conservation and Land Management
- Advanced Diploma of Management
Port Macquarie TAFE Institutions
TAFE NSW North Coast Institute’s Port Macquarie Campus offers students courses from all available study areas. The campus is a pioneer in TAFE NSW’s degree program with its Associate Degree of Accounting. The program provides a pathway to several different universities, including Australian Catholic University, Charles Sturt University, Macquarie University, and the University of New England.
As with all of the other campuses, Port Macquarie ensures that students get the best education possible by providing high-tech equipment, specialist training centres, individual learning centres, and modern libraries. Various counselling and support services are also available, including disability support, learning support, and multicultural education services.
Port Macquarie for Students
Early Morning Exercise – Tacking Point Lighthouse
The Greater Port Macquarie region has an 84km coastline, so it has plenty of beaches, but it also has forests and mountains, so students can get back to whatever nature they please. Adding to its attraction as a student city is its subtropical climate, which, according to Wikipedia, is one of the most liveable in the country.
Port Macquarie is prime koala territory. You can learn more about the iconic creatures at the Billabong Koala and Wildlife Park, which also boasts snow leopards and a range of other exotic animals. It’s not the cheapest outing for students, but it’s an experience that ought not to be missed. You can also get your Koala fix at the Koala Hospital, where you can see koalas receiving medical treatment. There are also guided walks and tours. Admission is free, but donations are greatly appreciated.
If you’re a stargazer then you might want to pop down to the Port Macquarie Observatory, which is run by the Port Macquarie Astronomical Association Inc. It’s open to the public on Sunday and Wednesday nights, so you can take a look through the telescope and enjoy an hour-long presentation. At only AU$8, it’s very affordable.
There are various markets where you can do bargain shopping, or go in search of unique treasures. Some of the regular markets include the Foreshore Market, which combines fresh local produce with art, the Artist Market in the Vines, Laurieton Riverwalk Market, Kendall Showground Markets, Port Macquarie Sunday Markets, and John’s Rover Country Markets. Don’t forget all the walking and hiking opportunities in the area. Tacking Point Lighthouse is a particular favourite among walkers.
If you don’t fancy making much effort you can always go to Majestic Cinemas to see a film or lounge on one of the many beaches.
New Coast Institute of TAFE allows students to take advantage of various government funding programs for tertiary education. Our Guide to TAFE Courses in New South Wales has more details.