Tamworth is the main city in New South Wales’ New England region. It’s beautifully situated on the Peel River, with the Great Dividing Range to its west. It’s an important economic hub with strong service sectors, particularly in retail, manufacturing, health, education, and business. This gives students plenty of options when the time comes to getting work experience.
In terms of higher education, students can choose between the University of New England and New England Institute of TAFE’s Tamworth Campus, which happens to be the main campus.
Popular TAFE Courses in Tamworth
- Diploma of Counselling
- Certificate in MYOB 19
- Certificate III in Education Support (Teacher’s Aide)
- Certificate III in Aged Care
- Certificate IV in Bookkeeping
- Diploma of Share Trading and Investment
- Certificate II in Nail Technology
- Certificate IV in Small Business Management
- Diploma of Events
- Certificate III in Disability
Table of Contents
What TAFE Study Options Are Available to Me in Tamworth?
New England Institute of TAFE provides a range of TAFE courses and vocational study options. You can start young with School-Based Apprenticeships and Traineeships (SBAT) or TVET – TAFE in schools. There are the traditional TAFE certificates and diplomas, some of which provide pathways to university. Businesses can take advantage of customised training courses, as well as certification training courses for employees.
Full-time, part-time, online and campus-based study options are available, and there are short courses galore.
Courses are offered on a semester basis. There are different courses available at the different campuses (there are eleven). So, if the location is an issue, you need to find out where your courses of choice are offered before you make a final decision. Remember that some semester courses are available online, so if getting to campus is a problem, you might still be able to register for the course.
Tamworth Campus offers TAFE courses in the following study areas:
- Animal Care
- Agriculture and Horticulture
- Mining & Natural Resources
- Business, Management and Retail
- Community and Child Services
- Construction, Plumbing and Electrotechnology
- Engineering and Metal Trades
- Hair and Beauty
- Health and Fitness
- Hospitality, Tourism and Events
- Information Technology
- Tertiary Preparation and Employment Skills
- Training and Workplace Health and Safety
- Transport Automotive and Aviation
New England Institute of TAFE provides a range of Statement of attainment or short courses. These can be used for professional development, continuing education, and self-edification. The courses are offered at different locations throughout the year (in some cases availability depends on demand). Short courses can also be created specifically for certain businesses to cater to their training needs.
A sample of the TAFE short courses available at Tamworth includes:
- Automotive Elecrical Skills
- Basic Wielding Skills
- Civil Construction- Earth Moving
- Food Handling
- Food Safety Supervision
- General Construction WH&S
- Heavy Commercial Vehicle
- Foal Nursing
- Licensing in Forklift
- Provide First Aid
- Responsible Service of Alcohol
- Work Safely at Heights
TNE Connects is New England’s external or correspondence study program. It provides online courses in a variety of study areas.
A sample of online courses available includes:
- Certificate II in Business
- Certificate II in Information, Digital Media and Technology
- Certificate III in Business Administration
- Certificate III in Retail
- Certificate III in Early Childhood Education and Care
- Certificate IV in Web- Based Technologies
- Certificate IV in Accounting
- Certificate IV in Retail Management
Tamworth TAFE Institutions
TAFE NSW New England Institute
Tamworth is the main campus at NSW New England Institute of TAFE. It offers an incredibly diverse range of courses and is home to the Tamworth Trade School. Tamworth Trade School is where high school students interested in School-Based Apprenticeships and Traineeships and TVET (TAFE delivered Vocational Education and Training in Schools) come to complete their courses. It caters to a wide range of trades and skills but is especially geared towards skills shortages in the region, such as metal, engineering and electrotechnology. The facilities to study these industries are state-of-the-art.
Tamworth for Students
Tamworth is a wonderful town that has everything students could possibly want, from natural beauty and diverse sports facilities to cultural events and entertainment. It has a reliable public transport system that is led by Tamworth Buslines. Tamworth Buslines operates a town and school bus network and also has services extending to nearby settlements, so you can get around easily. It offers TAFE students concessional fares, so you should definitely get an SSTS Student Bus Pass.
The cost of living is reasonable, and so are accommodation rates. The economy is stable and it’s been named one of the most progressive towns in NSW.
The biggest event in Tamworth, by far, is the annual Country Music Festival. It’s a 10-day (24-hour-a-day) festival held every January and is the second biggest country music festival in the world. If you miss the festival, you can’t miss the Big Golden Guitar in front of Longyard Hotel.
Other interesting things to see and do include:
- Oxley Lookout, which provides a fantastic panoramic view of the city, Peel River and the surrounding mountains. There are picnic and barbecue facilities so you can relax and really enjoy the peace and calm.
- Capitol Theatre Tamworth, where the raked auditorium, hydraulic orchestra pit and state-of-the-art sound and lighting equipment ensure that every show is a feast for the senses.
- Tamworth Regional Gallery, which hosts a variety of exhibitions, as well as several permanent collections. It also hosts education programs and special events. Entrance is free.
- Kootingal Pumpkin Festival, which is held every April and includes everything from pumpkin bowling and wine tasting to live entertainment.
- Tamworth Regional Botanical Garden, for your flower fix.
- Kamilaroi Track, which is a walking and cycling track that wends through Oxley Park, Marsupial Park, Oxley Lookout, and Flagstaff Mountain.
- Shop at Tamworth City Plaza, Centrepoint Shopping Centre, Northgate Shopping Centre, and Southgate Shopping Centre.
New England Institute of TAFE supports government funding programs to encourage students to further their education. Take a look at our Guide to TAFE Courses in New South Wales to see what funding options suit your needs.