Toowoomba is the second biggest city in Queensland. It’s known for its natural beauty and its ability to combine the advantages of living in a big city with the advantages of living in a small town. This makes it a great student town, as you’ll get the quiet you need to hit the books and the comforts and activities you need to keep yourself entertained.
Your TAFE needs are seen to by the highly reputable Southern Queensland Institute of TAFE. Let’s find out what else Toowoomba has to offer TAFE students.
Table of Contents
Popular TAFE Courses in Toowoomba
- Diploma of Counselling
- Certificate in MYOB 19
- Certificate III in Education Support (Teacher’s Aide)
- Certificate III in Aged Care
- Certificate IV in Bookkeeping
- Diploma of Share Trading and Investment
- Certificate II in Nail Technology
- Certificate IV in Small Business Management
- Diploma of Events
- Certificate III in Disability
What TAFE Study Options Are Available to Me in Toowoomba?
TAFE South West Queensland offers a wide variety of TAFE courses to Toowoomba, across certificate to diploma level qualifications. It also provides apprenticeship, traineeship and workplace training. Standard study formats also apply, so you can study full-time, part-time, on-campus, or online. All courses are nationally accredited and form part of the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF).
TAFE Queensland South West
TAFE certificate and diploma and apprenticeship courses are available on a semester basis. Keep an eye out for important semester dates on the website. Some of the semester courses available at TAFE Toowoomba include;
- Certificate II in Spoken & Written English
- Certificate III in Individual Support (Ageing)
- Certificate IV in Building & Construction
- Diploma of Graphic Design
- Diploma of Beauty Therapy
Some TAFE short courses at Toowoomba are offered on a rolling basis. Courses include;
- First Aid & CPR
- Basic Photoshop
- Digital SLR Camera Skills
- Responsible Service of Alcohol – RSA.
Licensing courses are also available, including Licence to Operating a Slewing Mobile Crane and Licence to Perform Dogging Operations.
Some of the courses offered by the TAFE Queensland South West institute are offered online, including:
- Certificate III in Education Support
- Certificate IV in Project Management Practice
- Diploma of Business
Toowoomba for Students
Toowoomba has plenty of accommodation available for students. To find out more about residential tenancy, private board and shared accommodation contact the Toowoomba Advocacy and Support Centre or the Toowoomba Student Association.
Getting around the city is easy thanks to a reliable public bus transport system. There is also a growing number of dedicated cycle and pedestrian paths so that you can get where you’re going at your own pace, and get fit along the way!
Thanks to approximately 150 parks and gardens, Toowoomba is also known as the Garden City, as well as a university and cathedral city. Based on that, you know that you’re going to get a lot of gorgeous scenery (lots of parks also means lots of picnic opportunities) and plenty of rich history and culture. The fact that it’s located on the Great Dividing Range means that hiking and mountain climbing are popular outdoor activities.
The most popular attraction is the annual Carnival of Flowers, which is held in September and which consists of competitions, shows, and a parade.
Entertainment options and things to do include:
- Empire Theatre for performing arts
- USQ Artworx for performing and visual arts
- Crows Nest National Park for forests, gorges and waterfalls
- Bunnyconnellen Olive Grove & Vineyard for define olive and wine tastings and leisurely strolls
- Aussie Emporium for frivolous shopping
- Japanese Gardens for strolling and relaxing