When someone says that they study design, you don’t really know what courses they’re taking, do you? Design is an umbrella concept that includes many diverse fields of study, including website design, photo imaging, graphic design, fashion design and interior design. In Australia, there are many opportunities to study all fields of design, often at the same design schools. In addition to classroom learning, many design schools in Australia offer a variety of online design courses.
Design Schools in Australia
Some of the best design schools in Australia include:
- The Australian Institute of Creative Design (AICD), which offers a variety of design courses accredited throughout Australia at its Brisbane, Queensland and Gold Coast campuses. It also provides study opportunities to students further afield in Australia with online courses from its fashion design, interior design and photography institutes (including those that offer online photography courses).
- The Whitehouse Institute of Design offers a Bachelor of Design degree specialising in Fashion Design, Interior Design and Styling and Creative Direction. The Institute also provides school students in Australia with the opportunity to study design basics with its VET courses and workshops in fashion design, interior decoration and styling at its Sydney and Melbourne campuses.
- Raffles College of Design and Commerce in North Sydney, Australia, offers specialist art courses and design, such as Bachelor of Arts in Games Design, Animation and Visual Communication (Multimedia Design) and Bachelor of Design in Fashion Design, Graphic Design, and Interior Design. The college also offers art and design short courses, certificates, master’s and associate’s degrees and diplomas.
Design Courses in Australia
Online design short courses, diplomas and certificates in Australia:
- Certificate IV in Design (Web Design or Graphic Design Specialisation) is nationally accredited in Australia and includes courses in web design theory and practical applications using Dreamweaver, Flash and a range of desktop publishing software. It qualifies students to work as junior design assistants.
- Certificate IV in Applied Fashion Design & Technology includes courses relating to the theoretical and practical application of fashion design, as well as business management courses.
- Diploma of Sustainable Landscape Design, which is a TAFE course in Australia that consists of compulsory and elective study units, including courses on how to prepare a landscape project, how to produce computer aided designs, how to design a sustainable garden and how to manage a small business.
- Diploma in Jewellery Design, which is available throughout Australia includes study courses on how to work with different materials (metals, gems), design using 3D software, design theory and gem analysis.
If you have a creative flair and are looking to find some direction you might want to consider some study options in the field of design. You’ll find yourself spoilt for choice. If you like the outdoors then landscape design courses could be ideal; you’ll get to design gardens in Sydney, parks in Melbourne, recreational centres in Brisbane and memorials in Perth.
If you like choosing wallpaper, paper, furniture and matching carpets and curtains then you might like interior design courses online or at any of the TAFE institutes in Queensland, Victoria, NSW and Tasmania where you can learn things like balance, colour, contrast, texture and tone.
Graphic design courses can be applied to a range of creative careers including web design, advertising and games design options in Australia. Then there are all the short courses available in things like jewellery design, lighting and stage and set design, as well as interior decorating, website and shoe design.