Engineering has always been a prestigious field of study. Many are the parents who have proudly boasted of their son (or daughter) the engineer. As technology evolves the applications for engineering have become more complex. This means that engineering schools have had to up their game and offer highly specialised study courses relating to various fields, such as electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, civil engineering and even mining, chemical and audio engineering in Australia.
Australia boasts some of the top engineering universities in the world, with some of the best engineering programs, many of which offer courses online.
Table of Contents
Engineering Courses in Australia
- Diploma of Engineering, which is offered by the Queensland Institute of Business Technology (QIBT) and serves as a pathway to an engineering degree from Griffith University. The Melbourne Institute of Business Technology (MIBT) offers Diploma of Engineering courses that serve as a pathway to engineering degrees from Deakin University. Completion of the MIBT diploma of engineering allows students to enter the second year of Deakin University’s Bachelor of Engineering study programs with majors in civil, mechanical, mechatronics and robotics engineering.
- Graduate Certificate of Engineering, which is offered by Griffith University, is a postgraduate certificate designed for practising engineers in Australia which includes courses in Engineering Management, Environmental Engineering, Electronic and Computer Engineering and Structural and Geotechnical Engineering.
Fields of Engineering in Australia
Obtaining engineering diplomas, and undergraduate and postgraduate degrees or short courses from reputable schools in Australia will qualify students for careers as civil engineers, environmental engineers, manufacturing engineers, electrical engineers, marine engineers, mining engineers, sound and audio engineers, sports and biomedical engineers and chemical engineers.
Engineering Associations in Australia
Before registering for an engineering degree, it’s important that you ascertain whether the school, university or college courses are accredited throughout Australia and whether they are recognised by the top engineering associations in the country.
- The Institute of Industrial Engineers (IIE) is aimed specifically at advancing and promoting the field of industrial engineering in Australia, as well as setting and maintaining the educational standards of universities, colleges and schools to ensure that those who study industrial engineering achieve the best possible courses, degrees and diplomas.
- The Association of Professional Engineers, Scientists and Managers Australia (APESMA) aims to provide support and networking services to its members, as well as career advice and continuing education opportunities through engineering short courses, seminars and workshops for all engineers, from electrical and mechanical to marine, sound and automotive.
- The National Engineering Registration Board (NERB) was established by Engineers Australia, APESMA and Consult Australia to maintain engineering standards and provide the public with protection and an avenue for complaint. Professional engineers opt to register with the Board as proof of the validity and quality of their degrees or other qualifications.