The hospitality and tourism industry plays a vital role in Australia’s economy, and as such, there is always demand for high quality, nationally accredited tourism and hospitality courses. Fortunately for those who want to study the variety of hospitality and tourism-related courses available, there are plenty of reputable schools and colleges that offer diplomas, degrees and certificates either on campus in Australia or online.
The hospitality industry is huge with almost no end of sub-disciplines that include jobs in restaurants (from waiting and management to cooking and dish washing), hotels (from housekeeping to night managers), events (coordinators and caterers), transportation (taxi and bus drivers), and tourism management. Each of these has unique fields of study, which can themselves vary from place to place.
For example, if you want to study hospitality and tourism management in Sydney, you’ll have to take generic courses, such as those that deal with international travel requirements (visas), but you’ll also have to learn about all the local attractions, restaurants and hotels so you can offer a holistic service to your clients. This information changes if want to become a travel agent in Perth or open a B&B in Melbourne.
Different fields of study require entirely different approaches. For example, hotel management courses rely heavily on theory but if you want to be a chef your courses will be far more practical. The level of qualification required also differs from job to job. For example, the dishwasher in a five-star hotel might not have finished school, but the manager will at least have a diploma in hospitality with specialised courses in hotel and restaurant management.
Some Hospitality Courses in Australia include:
- Bachelor of Business (International Hotel Management), which is not only a world-class hospitality course that includes business and hospitality management aspects but often also includes courses on food preparation, wine marketing and event coordination.
- Certificate III in Tourism (Retail Travel Sales) is an online course that focuses on tourist destinations in Australia and abroad, the intricacies of local and international bookings and travel administration, as well as a practical component to ensure that students are comfortable in the hospitality-related working environment.
- Graduate Certificate in International Tourism and Hospitality Management allows graduates to work in anything from government hospitality initiatives to sports tourism and theme park management.
- Bachelor of International Tourism, whose courses are ideal if you want to offer hospitality and travel services that extend beyond the attractions in Sydney, Perth, Melbourne, Adelaide and Brisbane.
- Diploma of Hotel Management includes courses on the hospitality service industry, hotel operations and basic accounting with theory and practical training aspects.
Many of Australia’s universities offer courses in hospitality and tourism management, which produce qualified travel agents and restaurant and hotel managers, but there are also schools that offer more specialised courses related to niche jobs in the hospitality industry, such as fine cuisine and viticulture.
Online hospitality courses are great for studying the theoretical aspects of the industry, such as the finer details of hotel management or the history of certain Australian attractions, but they can fall short when it comes to practical requirements and so aren’t ideal for someone who wants to become a chef at a Michelin star restaurant.
TafeCourses.com.au is an education portal and course finder representing top Australian universities, colleges, and TAFE institutions. We offer undergraduate and postgraduate university degrees, TAFE diplomas and certificates, as well as online and short courses in all of Australia’s territories, including New South Wales (NSW), Queensland (QLD), South Australia (SA), Tasmania (TAS), Victoria (VIC), and Western Australia (WA), as well as Northern Territory (NT) & Australian Capital Territory (ACT). For the sake of simplicity we also list our courses by city, e.g. Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide, Hobart, Darwin and Canberra. Browse our site to find assorted certification and training options, from distance or correspondence learning to Uni bachelor’s and master’s degrees.