The field of information technology (IT) is very broad and includes anything from managing computer and software information to data storage and information security management. A degree, certificate or diploma in IT will allow you to work in various sectors of the industry, as IT is an important part of all businesses. Below we will take a look at some of the top institutions in Canberra offering IT courses.
Table of Contents
IT Schools in Canberra
- Canberra Institute of Technology (CIT) is one of the most well-known and accredited institutions in Canberra. It is also one of a system of TAFE providers, and qualifications range from certificate to degree level. CIT has four campuses in Canberra, located in Bruce, Reid, Phillip, and Fyshwick. CIT has two online learning centres in Tuggeranong Town Centre and Gungahlin for students studying via distance learning.
- University of Canberra (UC) offers a graduate certificate in IT. UC aims to provide learners with hands-on work-integrated learning and the opportunity to participate in a research culture that will provide learners with experience in the working world before graduating.
- Wizard Corporate Training (WCT) is one of the largest IT training providers in Australia. The training centers are based in the CBD of Canberra, Melbourne, and Sydney. WCT specialises in corporate education and training either through the classroom or through e-learning.
IT Courses in Canberra
- Diploma of Information Technology (System Analysis and Design) will provide you with the skills and knowledge to be able to deal with Canberra clients’ business requirements and to work in project teams that analyse and redesign systems to meet clients’ needs. Job opportunities include applications architect, business analyst, systems analyst, systems architect, and IT analyst.
- Certificate IV in Information Technology (Systems Analysis and Design) will also teach you the necessary skills for analysing and redesigning existing systems. Job opportunities include IT support analyst, IT designer, systems support analyst, systems designer, operational support analyst, and technical support analyst.
- Diploma of Information Technology (Database Design and Development) will be useful to anyone who is interested in the design and development of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) database systems. Job opportunities include assistant database designer, assistant database developer, and assistant database specialist.
- Certificate III in Information, Digital Media and Technology aims to teach the student about a wide range of ICT technical functions and to become an advanced self-sufficient ICT user. Work opportunities include help desk officer, help desk assistant, ICT operations support, ICT user support, PC support, and technical support.
- Certificate IV in Information Technology will provide learners with the skills to work in small-to-medium enterprises (SMEs) in Canberra that require broader ICT support. You will learn basic networking, IT support, database development, and programming and web development support. Job opportunities include computer technician, customer support, information systems operator, PC support, systems administrator, systems support, technical support, user support technician, and network operations technician.
- Advanced Diploma of Information Technology will provide the learner with business skills and knowledge to work as a senior ICT specialist, knowledge management analyst, knowledge manager, manager of IT infrastructure solutions, business development manager, and software manager.
- Diploma of Information Technology (System Administration) is a qualification aimed at teaching learners how to administer a variety of networked computer systems. Job opportunities include assistant IT manager, assistant systems manager, internet/intranet administrator, internet/intranet systems administrator, and systems administrator.
- Diploma of Information Technology (Networking) will provide you with the skills to manage the installation of a range of networks, including internetworking, security and e-business integration for businesses in Canberra. Job opportunities include network administrator, IT administrator, IT operations administrator, network services administrator, network support coordinator, network operations analyst, network security coordinator, and network e-business coordinator.
- Advanced Diploma of Information Security (Network Security), will teach you to plan, design, manage and monitor an enterprise ICT security network as an independent ICT specialist or as part of a project team. Jobs include e-security specialist, ICT security specialist, IT security administrator, IT security analyst, IT security systems/network administrator, network security analyst, network security administrator, senior security administrator, and systems security analyst.
- Certificate IV in Information Technology (Programing), will develop basic programming skills and teach you to use the most common programming languages. You can work as an assistant applications programmer, assistant programmer, assistant software programmer, assistant web application programmer, or assistant web developer.
- Diploma of Information Technology (Software Development) will teach you to work with program and software development tools used by a range of industries in Canberra. You can work as an analyst programmer in IT support, assistant programming developer, assistant software applications programmer, assistant software developer, database support programmer, or web support programmer.
- Diploma of Information Technology (Website Development) is for anyone who wants to learn to design, build or manage websites as an independent web developer or as part of a team. With this qualification you can be a web developer, web developer manager, web programmer, website manager, webmaster, web administrator, or internet developer.
IT Degrees in Canberra
- Bachelor of Software Engineering, for those who want to create and construct computer technologies.
- Bachelor of Information Technology, for those who want to build information systems.
- Bachelor of Business Informatics, for those interested in the integration of information systems within organisations.
- Bachelor of Information Technology in Mainframe Computing, for those who want to build and operate IT systems in a mainframe environment.
- Bachelor of Games and Virtual Worlds (Programming), if you are interested in computer game and simulation design as well as programming. You will learn how to develop business concepts and manage game/simulation development projects.
Short IT Courses in Canberra
- Training Program in Basic Application Development is a part-time course that will enable you to work as a basic application programmer and administer a Linux system.
- Training Program in CISCO Discovery will teach you the necessary networking skills to be an assistant network administrator or a network technician.
- Training Program in Application Development Specialist will enable you to work as an application programmer or software developer.
In the days of yore, when computers where still something to be feared, it wasn’t all that difficult to set up shop as an IT expert and rake in the dough offering your services to major corporations. These days, however, when even toddlers can work sophisticated tablet devices and computers, IT professionals need to ensure that their skills are tip-top. TAFE IT certificates and diplomas are a big help, but undergraduate and postgraduate qualifications are much better. Search TafeCourses.com.au and find online and classroom-based IT courses that suit you.