Project management is a complex process that involves complex methodologies. The methodology used depends on the type of project to be managed, but also on the manager’s preferred style. Project management consists of five stages:
These stages are covered in great depth in project management courses in Canberra.
The four main project management methodologies
- Traditional method, which simply works through each stage step-by-step. The process is linear and fairly rigid.
- Critical Path Method (CPM), which also works on a step-by-step basis but which is dependent on time. Each step is allocated a certain period of time for completion; delays in one step result in delays in all subsequent steps. The planning process starts with the identification of individual activities that need to be carried out and moves onto the sequence of activities, an estimation of time required per activity, identification of the critical path, and continuous updates. Don’t worry if this sounds confusing, your project management course will help you sort it all out.
- Critical Chain Project Management (CCPM) removes the focus from deadlines and looks instead at performance and resources. Planning starts with identifying the critical chain, which is the longest chain of dependent tasks and moves onto estimations of time and safety planning, which is kind of like inserting buffers for errors of margin in time estimates. Once again, project management courses from schools in Canberra will sort out the complexities of the method.
- Event Chain Methodology (ECM) is an uncertainty module and schedule network analysis technique that identifies and manages events and event chains that affect project scheduling. According to Wikipedia, it is designed to mitigate the effect of motivational and cognitive biases in estimating and scheduling.
Project Management Courses in Canberra
The Australian Institute of Project Management endorses several courses in Canberra, including:
- Canberra Institute of Technology, which offers Certificate IV in Project Management, Diploma of Project Management and Advanced Diploma of Project Management.
- KBR, which is an international engineering, procurement and construction company that offers online project management courses for students in Canberra and Australia.
- Transformed (based in Kaleen, Canberra), which specialises in project management, building/construction, procurement and contract management courses. It offers a range of project management courses, including Introduction to Project Management, Risk Management in Projects, Contract Management, Certificate IV in Government (Project Management) and Advanced Diploma of Project Management.
- Bayley and Associates (based in Mawson, Canberra), which offers project management and financial management courses.
TafeCourses.com.au offers a range of project management courses in Canberra. Consult our list of courses to find project management classes or online learning opportunities in your area.