Environmental project management is a growing field as environmental awareness is incorporated into a variety of different projects, including construction, engineering, environmental clean up projects and sustainable tourism. The specialised field requires accredited project management courses and in-depth environmental knowledge, such as can be gained from schools and universities in Melbourne.
Environmental project managers work hand-in-hand with other project managers to ensure that projects run smoothly while minimising and managing the impact on the surrounding environment, wildlife and communities. The idea is to promote sustainability and social responsibility while bringing in projects on time and under budget. In some cases, environmental project managers are only consulted after damage has been done, in which case they have to devise plans to clean up any land, air and water pollution and damage to local communities.
Study Project Management in Melbourne
Environmental project managers need a diverse skill set that includes courses in environmental law (local and international), environmental practices, sustainability, wildlife, biology, and, of course, project management, which is usually taken as a postgraduate course either from schools in Melbourne or online. Courses in communication also won’t go amiss as environmental project managers have to liaise with various environmental regulatory bodies and inter-project departments, as well as concerned community and governmental organisations.
General courses to consider include associate diploma in environmental management, certificate in environmental sustainability, and certificate in natural resource management, etc. Specialised courses include marine science, ichthyology, water management, climatology and environmental engineering.
Project Management Courses in Melbourne
The Australian Institute of Project Management endorses several project management course providers in Melbourne, including:
- Engineering Education Australia, based in North Melbourne, offers several short courses in project management, as well as a Diploma of Project Management.
- Swinburne University, which has campuses all over Victoria, including Melbourne, offers Certificate IV in Project Management and Diploma of Project Management.
- Victoria University, based in Melbourne, offers a Master of Project Management.
- Chifley Business School, based in South Melbourne, offers a short course on implementing projects, as well as a Diploma in Project Management.
- Parker Brent offers Diploma of Project Management and Advanced Diploma of Project Management courses in Melbourne.
- ETM Management Training, based in Moorabbin, Melbourne, offers short courses in project management fundamentals.
TAFE Courses Australia offers a range of nationally accredited project management courses in Melbourne which will stand you in good stead should you want to be an environmental project manager or go into any other field of project management.