Project management is an exciting field, as diverse as the number of industries and subsequent niche industries in the world. It’s also a specialised field which requires unique skills that can only be gained through accredited project management courses from reputable schools in Sydney and other major cities in Australia. To further enhance your career as a project manager, you can join various international and national organisations (with chapters in Sydney) that generally offer different certification or membership levels depending on education and experience.
Project Management Institutions and Associations in Sydney
The Project Management Institute (PMI) is an internationally acclaimed non-profit organisation that works to promote project management as a profession, set and maintain industry standards, provide support to members and provide professional development. The Project Management Institute is present in over 185 countries, including Australia where it has chapters in Sydney, Adelaide, Melbourne, Canberra, Queensland and Western Australia.
PMI offers a certification program with six credentials, each level except CAPM requires a minimum number of professional development units (PDUs) per three-year cycle:
- Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM): an entry level certification which is valid for five years.
- Project Management Professional (PMP): an incredibly important certification that is invaluable to your career as a project manager in Sydney.
- Program Management Professional (PgMP): an advanced certification for progam managers.
- Risk Management Professional (PMI-RMP): for the project risk management niche.
- Scheduling Professional (PMI-SP): for the project scheduling niche.
- Agile Certification (PMI-ACP): for agile project management methodologies.
The Australian Institute of Project Management offers a Registered Project Manager (RegPM) certification program on three levels: Certified Practising Project Practitioner (CPPP), Certified Practising Project Manager (CPPM), and Certified Practising Project Director (CPPD). It also offers membership on various levels, including:
- Student membership, which can become Associate Membership upon successful qualification.
- Affiliate membership, which is for those who aren’t strictly project managers but who are affiliated with the industry.
- Associate membership.
- Life Fellow, Fellow and Honorary Fellow, which are awarded for contribution to the Institute and the profession.
Project Management Courses in Sydney
The Australian Institute of Project Management endorses several project management course providers in Sydney, including:
- University of Sydney Project Management Graduate Program with its Graduate Certificate (Project Management), Graduate Diploma Project Management and Master of Project Management courses.
- University of Technology Sydney with its Master of Project Management, Graduate Certificate in Project Management and short courses in continuing professional education.
- Living Planit, based in Sydney, with its short courses in project management fundamentals, project management training for executives, Certificate IV in Project Management, Diploma of Project Management and Advanced Diploma of Project Management.
- ESI International, based in Sydney, with its Project Management Certification Program, Certificate IV in Project Management, Diploma of Project Management, Advanced Diploma of Project Management and Master’s Certificate in Project Management.
TafeCourses.com.au offers a range of project management courses in Sydney for professional project managers and those just starting their project management careers.