This is a popular course so we recommend that you enrol as soon as possible to secure your place.
Take a significant step towards a rewarding career in the fast-growing counselling profession with this nationally recognised qualification.
The CHC51712 Diploma of Counselling provides a range of skills required to undertake general counselling work, communicate effectively at a high level, refer clients and work within a case-management framework. It is also ideal for professionals in HR and other areas where counselling skills are highly valued, as the distance learning format allows you to complete the course at your own pace.
With guidance from an experienced trainer, access to high-quality learning materials and a work placement for practical experience and industry contacts, you could be ready to pursue counselling work in as little as 12 months – or even open your own practice.
Upon successful completion of this program, you will be eligible to apply for membership of the Australian Community Counselling Association.
Open Colleges, Australia's leading distance education provider, has partnered with Integrated Care & Management Training (ICMT) to promote and provide access to the Diploma of Counselling CHC51708, which is delivered through distance education.
ICMT (National Provider Code 90197) is a leading provider of education and training in the Health and Community Services sectors. ICMT is distinguished by its up-to-date courses, designed in partnership with industry, and its outstanding student and graduate outcomes.
Equipment: Students will need access to a digital video camera and related software to record some of the assessment tasks.
Students will be required to undertake 200 hours of work placement. Students will be required to demonstrate their skills according to the units of competency they are studying.
National Criminal Record Check: Prior to commencing work placement, students willl be required to undertake a Criminal Record Check (CRC) to obtain a National Police Certificate.
Commission for Children and Young People Student Declaration: Before commencing work placement, students will be required to sign a CCYP Student Declaration form, which they must provide to the state public health facility. This form declares that the student is not prohbited from working with children and young people.
- CHCCM503C - Develop, facilitate and monitor all aspects of case management
- CHCCS514A - Recognise and respond to individuals at risk
- CHCCSL501A - Work within a structured counselling framework
- CHCCSL502A - Apply specialist interpersonal and counselling interview skills
- CHCCSL503A - Facilitate the counselling relationship
- CHCCSL504A - Apply personality and development theories
- CHCCSL505A - Apply learning theories in counselling
- CHCCSL506A - Apply counselling therapies to address a range of client issues
- CHCCSL507A - Support clients in decision-making processes
- CHCCSL508A - Apply legal and ethical responsibilities in counselling practice
- CHCCSL509A - Reflect and improve upon counselling skills
- CHCCSL512A - Determine suitability of client for counselling services
- HLTHIR403C - Work effectively with culturally diverse clients and co-workers
- HLTOHS300A - Contribute to OHS processes
- CHCCS403B - Provide brief intervention
- CHCICS405A - Facilitate groups for individual outcomes
- CHCCS426A - Provide support and care relating to loss and grief
For more information about this course please complete the enquiry form.
About Open Colleges
By submiting an enquiry on this Diploma of Counselling, you will receive a complimentary course consultation with Open Colleges. At Open Colleges, we put you at the centre of everything that we do. We measure our success in the success of our students. With more than 100 years of experience in distance learning, we have the expertise in delivering education and training to individuals seeking to launch, change or accelerate their careers.
We focus on meeting the specific needs of adult learners by delivering highly flexible, accessible and affordable learning opportunities. Our unique learning model provides you with ultimate control – to study anywhere, anytime and at your own pace. Our online campus – OpenSpace – provides you with access to learning resources, expert trainers and assessors, collaboration with other learners and a comprehensive range of support services.
RTO number: 90796