- FEE-HELP available
Gain a solid theoretical foundation to start your journey into counselling practice or further study.
The Institute’s Diploma of Counselling Practice introduces you to general counselling theories, ethical and legal practice, personal and professional reflection, supervision and collaborative practice. The course is structured using a scaffold approach to develop your skills and knowledge in Counselling Practice.
AIPC’s Diploma of Counselling Practice is an extremely flexible and well-structured tertiary program. The course is structured to progressively develop your knowledge and skills of foundational, theoretical concepts, and collaborative practice. The course is the perfect level to get your tertiary education started.
What You'll Learn
- The structures and processes of counselling and the client-counsellor relationships
- Knowledge of Learning and Behaviour Theories, and application of the theories to counselling processes
- Broad understanding of human development, including physical, cognitive, social, and moral development, and the lifespan perspective
- Explore various forms of diversity relating to ethnicity and culture; sex, gender, and sexual orientation; class, wealth, and status; and age, health, and ability
- Upon completion, you will be able to join as a member of the Australian Counselling Association
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration Study Load
- 12 months (full-time)
- Part-time available
You learn externally online through the Institute’s Higher Education Learning Portal (HELP). Students studying online and distance education have unique needs and study requirements. You benefit from the following study support options:
Online study and support
Through the Higher Education Learning Portal (HELP), you can download your study materials, contact your lecturer, participate in discussion forums, complete and/or submit assessments, and access the Institute’s Online Library.
Study assistance line
You have unlimited use of the toll-free 1300 Study Assistance Line which puts you in contact with your Unit Leader who will answer all your study and assessment queries.
Some units include practical demonstrations to enable you to practice and apply your theoretical knowledge in counselling situations. To complete your demonstration, you upload a recording of your skills and role plays through the Higher Education Learning Portal.
You can apply for entry to the Diploma of Counselling Practice course if you have achieved one of the following:
- Completed Year 12, or
- Completed a Certificate IV qualification (AQF Level 4), or
- Completed other post-secondary studies from an accredited higher education provider, or
- Have at least 3 years of post-secondary work experience
The Institute has a professional affiliation with the Australian Counselling Association (ACA). ACA is a peak industry association and the largest single registration body for counsellors in Australia. Please discuss with AIPC how you can qualify to meet the entry requirements to become a member of the Australian Counselling Association after completion of your course.
About Australian Institute of Professional Counsellors
The Australian Institute of Professional Counsellors (AIPC) is Australia’s largest and longest-established educator of Counsellors. Our specialist training programs include our acclaimed Diploma of Counselling, Bachelor of Counselling, and Master of Counselling. All our programs are government and industry-accredited.
We are an organisation founded on the principle of enabling people to help others. At the very heart of our logo, designed three decades ago, is the statement “Caring for people.” That’s the core of what we do, and that’s why our work matters.
RTO Provider Number: 0670 | Institute of Higher Education: Provider ID PRV12083.