- Please note that in-class learning is VIC only.
This qualification covers the fundamentals of early childhood development, education and care and is the minimum legal requirement for every child care worker in Australia.
Upon completion, you will have the skills, knowledge and experience to plan activities to promote children’s learning through play. These experiences will enable children to develop into confident and competent learners during their time spent at their Early Learning Centre.
As a result of the practical components of Selmar’s Early Childhood course, you will be ready to commence a career as an Early Childhood Educator, Kindergarten Educator, Outside School Hours Educator, Family Day Care Educator or Nanny/In-home carer.
If you are considering studying an early childhood course at Selmar, we offer study via distance or workplace in NSW or VIC as well as workplace traineeships also in VIC and NSW.
Our experienced and supportive trainers are passionate about delivering quality early childhood courses and relevant learning opportunities for you and will be with you every step of the way.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Early Learning Educator
- Kindergarten Assistant
- Family Day Care Educator
- Nanny/In-home carer
- Outside School Hours Care Educator
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
- New South Wales
Duration Study Load
- 9 months – Classroom (weekday classes – 2 days per week)
- 12 months – Workplace, distance
Workplace learning (Delivered in VIC and NSW)
If you’re already working in an education and care service, workplace training could be the perfect delivery mode to upskill and advance your career. You will have a dedicated trainer who will arrange regular face-to-face visits to your workplace and support you throughout your learning journey.
Online learning (Delivered in VIC only)
When you choose to study online with Selmar you get all the benefits of online learning while still receiving dedicated trainer support from start to finish. Access your materials and assessments anywhere, and learn with interactive videos and quizzes.
Classroom learning (Delivered in VIC only)
Our classroom learning study option allows learners to fast track into work placement. A dedicated trainer will support learners throughout their learning experience, and we will also help organise practical placement.
- Weekday classes (2 days per week): 12 weeks of classroom study followed by online learning and practical observations.
- To commence this program, your Language Literacy and Numeracy (LLN) skills must meet the required standards for ACSF LEVEL 2.
- Access to a computer and the internet.
- Victoria and NSW learners — You need to either provide a current Working With Children Check (WWCC) or provide evidence that you have applied for a WWCC.
- Evidence of COVID-19 vaccination is required to undertake practical placement in an early childhood education and care setting. For more information, check with your state health department website.
NOTE: If you are unable to obtain a WWCC you will not be able to complete the requirements of the course.
- Ongoing support and communication are provided from our experienced and friendly trainers via phone, email and placement visits. Yes, we come to you!
- Studying at Selmar also provides loads of other benefits and inclusions such as dedicated learner support, language and literacy and numeracy support, learner community hubs, placement uniform and an interactive online portal
One of the benefits of studying with Selmar is our practical learning that will help you develop hands-on, real-life skills so you develop sector-ready confidence to succeed in the workplace!
- 180 hours (2 days per week, 7.5 hour days) must be completed in an education and care service
- For learners not currently working in the sector, these hours are incorporated into our programs through practical placement
- And, we even help you organise placement via our extensive sector centre network!
Recognition Of Prior Learning
Selmar Institute of Education provides Recognition of Prior Learning. Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) allows assessment of the student’s previously unrecognised skills and knowledge.
About Selmar Institute of Education
Selmar Institute of Education is one of Australia’s leading Registered Training Organisations (RTO), with over 18 years’ experience educating over 35,000 learners.
As a specialist education provider in early childhood, before and after school and aged care, our human-centred training is designed to enable learners to gain the knowledge, professional skills and confidence to make a difference in these essential sectors. Providing fully accredited courses for both distance and in the workplace, our learners gain sector relevant skills supported by real-life practical and hands-on experience.
Wherever our learners are on their learning journey, our structured yet unique approach supports each learner with their different needs and circumstances, ensuring they become equipped to make a positive, caring and compassionate impact to their personal and workplace environment. Our team of passionate, supportive and knowledgeable trainers can also help organise practical placement and are with learners from start to finish, helping unlock their potential, achieve their goals and thrive in their career.
Education inspired by care and compassion.
Selmar Institute of Education is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO Number – 121531)