- Please note: This is a fee-for-service program
If you are passionate about planning and delivering exercise programs that help clients reach their health and fitness goals, becoming a nationally qualified Group Exercise Instructor and Gym Instructor is for you.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Gym Instructor
- Grop Exercise Instructor
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration Study Load
- 23.5 hours of practical experience in a real gym
- 15 course units to complete
- Complete one course unit every 3 weeks to graduate in 12 months
Studying the Certificate III in Fitness is flexible and you can tailor it to suit your needs.
The course is broken down into two parts:
Practical elements of the course can be undertaken in one of two ways:
1-to-1 Flexible Mentor
- Matched with one of our qualified Personal Trainers who will mentor you inside a real club
- Enjoy the flexibility of arranging your own timetable
- Complete 23.5 hours of face-to-face practical learning with your Mentor
Mentor of Your Choice
If you already know a Personal Trainer, we could approve them to be your Mentor to guide you through the practical components of your course.
- Complete 23.5 hours of face-to-face practical learning at a club of your choice
Study the theoretical elements of this course anywhere and anytime through our online learning platform.
- 15 course units to complete
- Complete one course unit every 3 weeks to graduate in 12 months.
While there are no formal entry requirements for the Certificate III in Fitness, you will need:
You must obtain HLTAID011 Provide First Aid from an external provider. This cost is not included in your course fee; however, AIPT has an agreement with Red Cross Australia (RTO 3605) to provide first-aid training to our students at a reduced price. You can choose to take advantage of this arrangement or pursue this unit of competency via another training provider.
You’ll need to have completed year 10 or equivalent (i.e., a qualification at Certificate II level or higher, or 2 years of industry experience in a role that requires the use of written documentation and communication).
You need to be at least 16. If you’re under 18, a parent or guardian will need to sign your enrolment form.
You need to be a permanent Australian resident or equivalent.
Working with Children Check
For the work placement portion of your course, you may need a current “Working with Children Check Clearance” issued by the relevant authority in your state/territory.
The Certificate III in Fitness includes a Group Exercise Instructor skillset as a core component of this course.
- 23.5 hours of industry practical experience
- Receive the skill set SISSS00128 Group Exercise Leader as a core component of this course
- Gain access to an exercise library and video learning units
- Assess client movement and provide exercise advice
- Develop and instruct gym-based exercise programs for individual clients
- Maintain sport, fitness and recreation facilities
For the online part of the course, you may need regular access to:
Computer: Laptop or desktop computer with working speakers or headphone points.
Internet: High-speed internet such as Broadband or ADSL, T1/T2, fibre optic (Dial-up access is not recommended).
Windows: Operating system – Windows 8 or above.
Mobile Phone with video capability or Video Camera: Some assessments in your course will require you to take and submit videos of you undertaking tasks for assessment.
Office Equipment: Printer and scanner to print and upload some of your assessments.
Internet Browser: Google Chrome, Firefox or Microsoft Internet Explorer 11.
MAC: Operating system – OS X 10.14 Mojave or later.
Software: Flash, Adobe Reader, Microsoft Word (or Open Office which is free to download).
About Australian Institute of Personal Trainers
At the Australian Institute of Personal Trainers (AIPT) we are experts in wellness, nutrition and fitness, and equip our students with the best in online and face-to-face education. Established in 1999 alongside our partner Registered Training Organisation Foundation Education, we have grown from a handful of campuses in Queensland to over 150 campuses and an extensive network of Mentors Australia-wide.
When you study with AIPT you have access to:
- Dedicated student support - Access to a dedicated team of Support Officers to make the transition into study as smooth as possible.
- Largest network of locations - We have the industry's largest network of gyms across Australia, ensuring we're in your area.
- Flexible delivery options - We cater to all learning styles and offer flexible study options to suit everyone’s schedules, with a focus on practical learning and hands-on experience.
Australian Institute of Personal Trainers is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO - 32363)