The negative effects of mental ill-health can be debilitating for individuals, and devastating for families and communities. We need professionals in mental health to deliver the leadership, care and support that will change—and save—lives.
VU Online’s Master of Mental Health is for allied health and social care professionals ready to gain contemporary, person-centred knowledge to work in and lead multidisciplinary teams and programs that impact and transform mental health services in Australia.
During this course, you will learn to apply contemporary approaches informed by local, national and international health priorities and principles. You will undertake important research to contribute to our growing understanding of mental health. You will also explore advanced care strategies, therapies and interventions to create better outcomes for people from diverse and vulnerable populations.
Studying a contemporary curriculum designed by mental health experts, you will build a comprehensive mental health practice, based on research and evidence, trauma-informed care, and collaboration across mental health services.
What You'll Learn
With VU Online’s Master of Mental Health, you can enhance your skills and transform mental health services. You’ll gain work-based knowledge and skills in evidence-based assessment and intervention approaches in mental health, which you can use to successfully engage with individuals, families, carers and clinicians across therapeutic, community and clinical mental health settings.
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration Study Load
- 2 years, part-time
- 12 units (7 weeks each)
- This degree is offered through VU Online’s postgraduate Block Model, winner of the LearnX Live! Award 2021 ‘Best Online Learning Model’.
- Instead of taking two or three units a semester, you will study one unit at a time in six study periods per year. This offers you more flexibility than traditional on-campus degrees and the opportunity to immerse yourself in your study.
- At VU Online, we take a personalised 1:1 approach to online learning, which makes learning with us highly interactive and supported.
- Completed an AQF Level 7 Bachelors degree in a cognate discipline such as Health Science, Social Work, Psychology, Medicine, Youth Work, or Education; OR
- A Graduate Certificate in Mental Health; OR
- A Graduate Certificate in Child and Adolescent Mental Health
Award-winning study model
Our postgraduate online Block Model, winner of the LearnX Live! Award 2021 ‘Best Online Learning Model’, recognises the complexity of students’ lives while giving a consistent, manageable and connected online learning experience.
Support 7 days and in the evenings
Get the support you need, when you need it. Our support network has a single focus on ensuring you are entirely supported to succeed.
Contemporary curriculum designed by mental health experts
Designed and developed by leading mental health academics and practitioners, our Master of Mental Health will equip you with contemporary approaches to mental health and allow you to transform the delivery of mental health services in Australia.
Why Study With VU Online?
Ranked among the world’s top two per cent of universities, VU Online is respected by employers and professionals alike.
We offer degrees that empower you to progress over time, putting your dream qualification in reach – regardless of educational background.
Known for industry-focused courses as well as high-calibre facilitators and academics, VU Online combines a track record in tertiary education that puts students first with a deep understanding of contemporary online learning.
Study with VU Online and you’ll be part of a vibrant, virtual community of like-minded peers, actively supported to achieve your professional goals.
About Victoria University Online
Internationally recognised as a leading university, Victoria University (VU) is ranked among the top two per cent of universities worldwide.
At VU Online, we make it easy to fit study around existing commitments including work, family and children. Our programs are delivered through VU Online’s postgraduate Block Model, winner of the LearnX Live! Award 2020 ‘Best Online Learning Model’.
Our postgraduate online Block Model is designed to be flexible, interactive and student-centred. Instead of taking two or three units a semester, you will study one unit at a time, offering you more flexibility than traditional on-campus degrees.
Our online learning platform is a virtual one-stop shop that helps you manage your study commitments 24/7. You will be able to access your coursework, resources, assignment details and individual feedback from facilitators, all in one place.
- A genuine online learning community
- Interactive, immersive learning - no exams or textbooks to purchase
- Delivered by experienced academics and facilitators
- 1:1 support via phone, email or SMS, seven days a week and in the evenings