- Skills first government funding available for eligible individuals.
Our government-funded ‘Espress Yourself’ Barista course is part of the SITSS00080 Espresso Machine Operation Skill Set. It covers barista coffee service, using the point of sale, and customer service and includes your food handler’s certificate.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Working in cafes, restaurants, bars and bakeries
What You'll Learn
- Food handlers certificate (Food Handlers Level 1)
- How to make and serve espresso coffee’s
- Coffee machine set-up and cleaning, using the grinder and extraction techniques
- Using the Point of Sale (POS), processing payments and competing reconciliation
- Providing quality customer service to internal and external customers, tips to exceed customer expectations handling complaints
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
- Melbourne CBD
Duration Study Load
- 4 x consecutive days of practical skills and assessment
- Students have up to 1 month to complete the skillset
- Average 8 hours of self-study per week
- Face-to-face in our custom coffee and bar training rooms
- Self-paced learning throughout the course including content, videos, articles and zoom presentations
To complete this skill set students will need:
- Access to a computer and the internet
- Digital skills to complete online assessments, upload documents and use a point of sale
- Complete a language, literacy and numeracy assessment as part of enrolment to ensure they are capable of completing course requirements, ability to read and comprehend policies and procedures and menus
Recognition Of Prior Learning
- You can ask for your relevant existing skills, qualifications and experience to be assessed and taken into account when your level of competency is being assessed.
- There will be a cost associated, refer to our statement of fees and charges.
- RPL is not covered by government funding.
- Observation of performance and simulated service
- Oral questioning
- Theory questions; including short answers, matching questions, multiple choice and case studies
If you need extra support you can book a one-on-one appointment with our student support trainer.
Whilst we cannot guarantee employment, we work with a number of employers that recruit directly from our student pool. If you demonstrate great skills and maintain good participation we will refer you to employers that have jobs available.
If you complete voluntary shifts at our café and restaurant “Hunters and Disciples” you will be able to add this venue to your resume as real hospitality experience. The café is located on the ground level of our training facilities and is open to the public.
Credit transfer (CT)
If you have previaously completed any of the units that feature in your Serve It Up course, we can give you credit and you will not have to repeat the unit. There is no associated cost but you will need to complete a credit transfer application.
After completing this skill set you may wish to go on to our Service Essentials Skill Set or our Certificate IV Hospitality. Units can be credit transferred and funding may also be available if eligible.
About Serve It Up
Specialising in nationally accredited training for Hospitality and Leadership and Management, Serve It Up (SIU) is a trusted RTO with 10 years’ experience in training, supporting and inspiring students to succeed in their chosen pathway. We believe in real skills for real jobs, we take the extra time to customise our course materials and create new and innovative ways of delivering course content.
As a Registered Training Organisation (RTO), qualifications completed with SIU are recognised nationally. Qualifications achieved through the Australian VET system are also very highly regarded internationally. Our mission is to provide pathways into industry and to contribute to a successful, skilled and innovative workforce.
While employment is not guaranteed, SIU has it’s own Café & Restaurant “Hunters and Disciples” located in the new state of the art training facility in West Melbourne. All students have the opportunity to complete voluntary shifts in this venue to get real experience to help them get a job.
SIU also has connections with large Melbourne pub groups, bars, restaurants, recruitment agencies and industry associations, keeping us up-to-date with industry trends and providing better job opportunities for our students.
SIU offers high-quality training both face to face and via a blended online model, offering students options to undertake our courses in a way that best suits their lifestyle.
Our trainers are dedicated and highly qualified with extensive practical industry experience and committed to providing quality outcomes to our students and ensuring that all training is both engaging and an enjoyable experience.
Our student support team are extremely passionate and committed to helping students succeed. They are always on hand to help with any questions and provide students with the support they may need to complete the course satisfactorily, especially if circumstances change.
Serve It Up Training Pty Ltd is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO 22542)