Weddings are pretty special occasions, which is why couples hire specialist wedding photographers to immortalise their big day. Anyone with a digital camera can set themselves up as a wedding photographer but if you want to be the real deal you need to sign up for photography courses in Canberra.
Wedding photography courses will not only provide you with the knowledge necessary to establish yourself as a professional photographer, but they will also provide you with the skills required to take pictures in any of the photography styles Canberra brides prefer.
Wedding Photography Styles
There are two main, relatively easy to identify styles and a few other styles that are less easy to pin down.
- Traditional or classic wedding photography is old-school. It consists of the posed pictures that are standard at most weddings, regardless of other styles used. You know the formula, bride and groom next to each other and each next to their respective in-laws; bride and bridesmaids; groom and groomsmen; bride and in-laws; groom and in-laws; bride and parents; groom and parents; etc. Basically, traditional photography consists only of posed photos and while many knock it, there is an art to successfully posing assorted wedding photographs, which makes photography courses indispensible.
- Photojournalistic wedding photography is photography on the move. Just as photojournalists tell stories of war (and peace), a wedding photojournalist tells the story of a wedding. Pictures are not posed (or obviously posed, or posed often). The aim is to capture the couple and guests enjoying the celebrations naturally. Photojournalistic wedding photography is probably the most popular style in Canberra, and around the world, today, but be warned that it requires excellent timing, instinct and technical skills.
- Creative/artistic wedding photography effectively gives photographers license to play around with lighting, settings and effects to create entirely unique photos that are about as far away from the traditional style as it is possible to get. Creative photography needs an eye for beauty, an ability to work angles and imagination to envisage the end result, not to mention the solid photography foundations provided by online courses or classes from photography schools, institutions or clubs in Canberra.
- Glamour wedding photography is a highly specialised style that will produce wedding pictures fit for a fashion or style magazine. They are also very posed, but not at all in the traditional sense.
- Black and white wedding photography has its place and consensus has it that its place is mixed in with a hybrid of styles. An entirely black and white wedding album might be terribly arty but it probably won’t capture the wedding atmosphere. Choose only certain photos to print in black and white and then also play with snippets of colour to provide a fun and unexpected freshness to the photographs.
Many wedding photographers in Canberra offer the full spectrum of styles, although they will favour one over the others. This means that couples don’t have to choose a particular style but can see their wedding from a number of different perspectives, which adds a whole new dimension to the special day.
Remember that your job as a wedding photographer is to capture the essence of the day, which means that the happy couple’s needs come first, so you might have to rein in your artistic temperament.
TafeCourses.com.au offers a range of photography courses in Canberra that will allow you to indulge in your hobby of taking landscape portraits or set yourself up as one the most celebrated and most highly sought after wedding and family photographers in Australia.