Get your business off to a solid start with professional skills and knowledge across strategic planning, financial management, and digital marketing.
Small businesses are booming in Australia, with over 2.4 million in operation across the country. These numbers are steadily increasing as more people are choosing to tread their own path and work for themselves.
This dual qualification will provide you with a strong set of business skills that you can use to build your new business or venture. You’ll start by learning how to effectively run your business, including building relationships, financial management, and strategic and business planning.
You’ll then build on the foundations of business by learning how to effectively communicate, develop a detailed understanding of consumer behaviour, and learn how to market your business to customers and build your customer base.
You will be able to understand customers and how to conduct market research to gain more insight into people and their habits. It will also help you to analyse consumer data and apply market profiling to campaigns.
The practical design of this course means that you don’t have to wait until you graduate to start using what you learn. You can apply your learning to your business immediately.
When you complete your first module, you will receive a 12-month membership with Flying Solo, which will give you access to a range of benefits, such as access to newsletters, webinars, events, discussion forums, flying solo book and Flying Solo directory.
There are also promotional spots for the student’s small business on the Flying Solo website. A one-on-one small business coaching session is also provided with Flying Solo founder, Robert Gerrish.
Who's It For?
If you’re thinking about starting up your own small business, launching a new venture, or improving your existing endeavour, then this course is the right fit for you.
You’ll learn the fundamentals of small business management and will graduate with a strong set of skills that will help you understand what it takes to manage a successful business and how to maximise its potential through the marketing and communication skills you’ll learn. Equipped with these core skills and knowledge, you’ll have the confidence to forge ahead and make your business dreams a reality.
This course has been developed to target the needs of entrepreneurs and small business owners in the services and distribution services sectors; however, the key concepts addressed throughout the course have a broad application and can also be used in other sectors.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Advertising Account Coordinator
- Assistant Account Manager (Advertising)
- Assistant Advertising Account Planner
- Community Relations Team Leader (Local Government)
- Digital Marketing Assistant
- Digital Marketing Coordinator
- Direct Marketing Officer
- Market Research Assistant
- Marketing and Communications Coordinator
- Marketing Officer
- Media Assistant
- Media Planner
- New Business Owner or Operator
- New Venture Manager
- Promotions Assistant Manager
- Public Relations Officer
- Sales Administrator
What You'll Learn
- Understand the legal and risk requirements of small business
- Learn how to build and maintain business relationships, and the importance of communication
- Learn critical skills for business success, including how to plan your business resources and finances, and get your cashflow in order
- Master the art of small business marketing to build awareness of your product or service, drum up new business, and increase customer loyalty
- Create strategies to help identify and understand your customers, analyse consumer behaviour, assess marketing opportunities, and undertake marketing activities
- Develop a social media strategy.
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration Study Load
- Maximum 30 months
- 19 hours of study per week recommended
There are no mandated education entry requirements for this qualification, but it is also recommended that students:
- Are 18 years old (note: students under 18 will need permission from a parent or guardian to enrol)
- Have language, literacy and numeracy skills that ensure the ability to read and comprehend technical terms and communicate effectively through email — these skills are equivalent to those that would be required to successfully complete Year 12 or ACSF Level 3
- Have completed a qualification at Certificate III level or higher · Have access to a modern computer with video/audio playback capabilities and high-speed internet
- Have access to Microsoft Office or equivalent
- Have basic computing skills, including ability to make a short video
- Have access to a digital video recording device to save and upload video/image files to OpenSpace, e.g., mobile phone/smartphone.
Recognition Of Prior Learning
If you are an existing worker or have experience in the related industry, please inform our enrolment consultants during your enrolment conversation. You may be eligible to enrol as an existing worker and complete your studies faster. Please note – limitations do apply.
- Multiple-choice Quiz
- Role plays
- Written assessments
Learning materials are accessed through our online platform, OpenSpace. These learning materials include:
- Learning content
- Additional resources
- Practice activities
About Open Colleges
Open Colleges puts you at the centre of everything we do. As an institution, we measure our success in the success of our students.
We have more than 125 years of experience in distance education, and this has given us the time to perfect the ways we deliver education and training to people across Australia. In the last decade alone, we’ve helped more than 450,000 students reach their potential.
We understand the needs of adult learners. That’s why we created OpenSpace, our world-class online learning platform that gives you complete flexibility and control to study whenever and wherever you are. OpenSpace provides you with access to learning resources, expert trainers and assessors, a superior support network and the opportunity to connect with other learners just like you.
Our nationally recognised courses could help you launch, change or accelerate your career. Now is the time to make your next move. With Open Colleges, everything could happen.
Open Colleges Pty Ltd is a Registered Training Organization (RTO 90796)