The Diploma of Payroll Services (FNS50422) is the ultimate qualification for current (and future) payroll professionals who are serious about their careers. It’s also great for independent practitioners who are looking for a way to formalise their expertise in payroll services.
The Diploma of Payroll Services has been developed in consultation with the industry, tailored specifically to the needs of accounting technicians working in payroll departments.
In addition to technical skills, the qualification includes a variety of legal, customer service, and interpersonal skills units of competencies that’ll help round out your capabilities as a payroll professional.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Human Resources (HR) officer
- Industrial Relations assistant advisor
- Salary Packaging advisor
- Payroll Services officer
- Small business employment manager
- Bookkeeping assistant
- Compliance officer
- Assistant financial controller
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration Study Load
12 months self-paced.
This course has been developed to give you absolute flexibility. Study on your couch, on public transport, on your break at work, out in the park – wherever and whenever you like. The best part is, with Monarch Institute, ‘online’ doesn’t mean ‘alone’. You’ll be backed by our trainers at every step along the way.
Your trainer will be happy to contact you via phone, Zoom, or email. So you definitely won’t feel alone. You’ll also have access to our student Facebook groups, so you can discuss the material with other students. It’s a handy way to stay in touch with trainers and others in the same course.
There aren’t any formal entry requirements. But to make sure you get the most out of training with us, the following enrolment process applies:
- Once we receive your enrolment, our friendly course consultants will touch base to undertake a pre-training review to ensure the training is right for you.
- For students without an equal or higher level qualification, there’s a short language, literacy and numeracy quiz you complete online.
- Easy-to-follow course materials
- Videos and webinars
- Heaps of support from your course trainers (phone, email, Skype, Zoom)
- A dedicated support team on hand to guide you
- Online assessments
- Student Facebook group
Recognition Of Prior Learning
Monarch Institute recognises Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) which takes into account the knowledge and skills you have already gained through your previous education and work history, attributing this to your FNS50422 Diploma of Payroll Services. These may be through formal or informal training and can result in credits towards your qualification. We also offer Credit Transfer (CT).
The experts who design and deliver our courses have developed an assessment framework that’s uniquely designed to help you gain a deep understanding of the material. They’ll give you the kind of knowledge and skills you can use in the real world as a skilled payroll administrator. Assessment may include:
- Multiple-choice questions
- Short-answer questions
- Workplace scenarios
- Case studies
You will need access to the following equipment to successfully complete the course:
- Working PC with Microsoft Office
- Access to the internet
Three major modules comprising a total of 4 sub-modules
- Administer payroll and personal records
- Establish procedures for managing payroll
- Prepare payroll data
- Applying accrual accounting principles
- Using source documents for transaction reporting
- Applying GST rules to transactions
- Using cash receipts journals and cash payments journals
- Using purchases journals and sales journals
- Completing general journal entries
- Handle bad debts written off
- Apply debit and credit rules
- Post journal entries to general ledger accounts
- Prepare trial balances
- Participate in and facilitate team work activities
- Identify sustainability issues for the financial services industry
- Adhere to legal compliance requirements
- Prepare business activity statements
- Prepare instalment activity statements
- Process manual payroll systems
- Use an accounting software system such as MYOB or XERO to set up chart of accounts and change account details
- Set up contact records
- Create invoices and edit invoices
- Create bills and enter the spending of funds
- Perform bank reconciliations
- Create manual journal entries
- Backup and export data
- Generate financial statements
- Analyse an organisation’s salary packaging and additional allowance arrangements
- Process salary packaging arrangements in payroll systems
- Calculate and verify superannuation payments
- Gather employee information and verify organisational requirements relating to termination
- Maintain compliance of payroll services with regulations
- Evaluate the impact of taxation systems on payroll services
- Ensure payroll services comply with taxation systems
- Determine payroll tax to be applied
About Monarch Institute
Monarch Institute is one of Australia’s largest family-owned professional services training organisations. We believe education should be an experience, not a transaction.
Our award-winning, innovative approach to course content and design means that you get relevant, accredited courses with loads of support from experienced trainers who give you the time to ensure you’ve got the skills that the industry needs. Study online today with Monarch and change the way you think about studying.
Monarch Institute Pty Ltd is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO code: 22530)